Puzhangal arisi murukku recipe / Idly rice murukku recipe is a crunchy and yummy snack made with parboiled or idly rice, fried gram, butter, cumin and sesame seeds. In every household in South India during diwali, they make murukku compulsory apart from sweets. The only few diwali snack really enjoyed by people with diabetes and older people are murukku they hit on top of the savory list. When my grandpa was alive say 20 yrs back, he eat powdered murukku. Yes interesting right ???? my mom grind the murukku in mixie for my grandpa…I love that taste too:-P Actually I clicked this murukku last year when my mom made it for diwali, it was in my draft, as diwali is nearing and I am posting this easy murukku recipe in my blog…try this crunchy crispy parboiled murukku for diwali 2015 and let me know your feedback.
Also check my other murukku recipes
How to make Easy Puzhangal Arisi Murukku Recipe / Idly Rice Murukku Recipe
Half the recipe if you are just 2 in family (husband and wife)
- 4 Cups of Idly Rice (parboiled Rice)
- 1 Cup of Fried Gram dal (pottukadalai)
- ¼ Cup of Butter
- 2 Tsp of Cumin
- 2 Tsp of Sesame Seeds
- ¼ Tsp of Asafoeida
- Salt to taste
- Oil to deep fry
- Soak the rice in water for 2-3 hrs, drain the water, wash the rice and grind it in a wet grinder with little water until it turns smooth. Sprinkle water in between if the grinder does not run freely. After it is done, transfer it to a wide bowl.
- Powder the fried gram in mixie to a very fine powder, sieve well and measure it, take 1 cup of fried gram powder. Add this to a batter bowl.
- To the same bowl, add sesame seeds, cumin, asafoetida, melted butter and salt. Mix really well and form a dough.
- Meanwhile heat the oil to deep fry.
- Place the three hole murukku plate in murukku press. Grease the oil inside the murukku press, place the dough inside upto ¾ of the press. Close it tightly.
- Once the oil is hot, squeeze it directly into the oil or squeeze it in the greased ladle.
- In a medium flame, deep fry the murukku on both sides until it turns golden brown colour and ssh sound ceases.
- Drain it in a paper towel and repeat the same process for the rest of the dough.
- Hot , crispy puzhangal arisi murukku is ready to eat.
If you dont have sesame seeds, add ajwain (omam) or add cumin alone. We are adding this for easy digestion.
Adding butter for crispy taste. Dont have butter, add hot oil to the dough.
If your batter is sticky, add some more fried gram dal powder to the dough and mix well.
Always cook in medium flame.
While squeezing do not make several layers in that it takes more time to cook.