Mullu Murukku is a popular snack in Southern part of India. Mullu means “thorn” Murukku means Crispy rice snack. This mullu murukku resembles like thorns, hence the name. This mullu murukku is usually prepared during festival occasions like Diwali and Krishna jayanthi. This instant murukku recipe is very easy, delicious and simple to make murukku and it is really crispy and tasty. In this method, I used store bought rice flour to make this murukku. Other flour I used is besan flour which is also store bought. This is very simple procedure as you do not need to make rice flour at home, and hence it is a time saving murukku recipe, I have given step by step picture to easily understand the recipe. It involves very simple procedure, just mix the store bought flours, butter, red chilly powder, hing and salt. and make easy mullu murukku recipe with the help of murukku press. Adding asafoetida is to help for easy in digestion. Try this store bought rice flour murukku and here is the recipe.
Preparation and Cooking Time : 1 Hr Yield : 12-15 Murukku
Ingredients for mullu murukku recipe
- 3/4 Cup of Rice Flour
- 1/4 Cup of Besan Flour(Kadalai Maavu)
- 1 and 1/4 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
- 1/4 Tsp of Asafoetida(Hing)
- 1 Tbsp of Butter
- 1/2 Tsp of Salt or to taste
- 1/4 Cup +2 Tbsp of Water
- 1 Tsp of Hot Oil
- 3 Cups of Vegetable Oil To Deep Fry
Method for instant murukku recipe
- Sieve both the rice flour and besan flour in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in a microwave for 10 secs.
- In a bowl containing flours, add red chilly powder, asafoetida, melted butter, salt, hot oil and water, mix well. Knead it to get a soft, smooth dough.
- Grease the murukku press with oil, on inner wall of the press. Place the dough into murukku press, with star sign plate at the bottom.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a kadai/ shallow pan.
- In a counter top, place the parchment paper or milk cover or polythene sheet, grease it with some oil, squeeze murukku in a circular motion as shown in the picture. Make sure you seal the end of the murukku.
- When the oil is hot (325 Degree F) Gently take with your hand and carefully drop the murukku into the oil. Cook the murukku on both sides till “Ssh” sound ceases and they turn golden brown color. Always cook murukku in a medium flame. Once it done, drain it in a paper towel.
- Repeat the same process for the rest of the dough. Store it in a airtight container after it completely cool down.
- Crispy & Tasty Murukku is ready to enjoy 🙂
- Always cook murukku in a medium flame.
- Adjust the amount of red chilly powder and salt according to your taste.
- If you are an expert, you can also press murukku directly to oil.
- You can also add cumin, if you like. I added asafetida, for easy digestion.
- If you are planning to make in larger scale, then cover the dough with wet cloth, otherwise it get dried soon.
- If you don’t have butter, add ghee.
- If you are vegan, add hot oil instead of butter.
- If you don’t have store bought rice flour, you can also make it in your home with raw rice. It involes soaking , air drying and then ground it into a fine flour.
Health Benefits of Rice and Besan Flour
- Rice gives fast and instant energy, regulate and improve bowel movements, boosts the skin health, aids in metabolism and digestion, blood pressure management and prevents constipation.
- Besan flour are good source of vitamins, proteins and minerals like magnesium, iron and phosphorous. Iron acts as an antioxidant and helps in the production of collagen, magnesium helps to relax muscles and maintain blood circulation. Phosphorous combined with calcium helps in building of bones.
Tags: murkku,murukku recipe,mullu murukku, mullu murukku recipe,how to make murukku,mullu murukku recipe south indian,maida murukku,maida mullu murukku,how to make mullu murukku,gokulashtami recipes,krishna jayanthi recipes,easy murukku recipe,prepare murukku recipe