Black pepper is a spice that has the potential to make the food more beneficial when used in many recipes and as a table spice. It has lot of health benefits with lot of vitamins and anti-oxidants. But when combined with turmeric, its anti-cancer properties increases. Coming to the recipe, this milagu kulambu is without onion and garlic and very easy to make dish. This kuzhambu is also good for cough and cold. Try this pepper kuzhambu( Pepper in a tamarind sauce) with hot steamed rice and ghee, kootu and appalam as a side dish.
Serving : 4 People
To Make a Powder
1 Tbsp of Whole Black Pepper
1 Tsp of Whole Cumin
1 Tbsp of Toor Dal
1 Tbsp of Urad Dal
1/4 Tsp of Fenugreek
1 Tbsp of Gingelly Oil (Indian Sesame Oil)
1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
Pinch of Asafoetida(Hing)
Few Curry Leaves
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
Big Gooseberry Size Tamarind
Salt to Taste
- Dry roast all the ingredients listed under ” To make powder list” for 2-3 mins until it turns golden brown color and aroma rises. Let it cool down and powder it to a fine powder using spice grinder or mixie.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water for 10 mins, extract the juice from the tamarind and keep this aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal, asafetida and curry leaves, after mustard seeds splutters, add the tamarind juice, bring it to a boil, add turmeric powder and ground pepper mix, mix fast to avoid lumps, add salt, bring it to a boil, simmer it and wait until it gets thick. Once it done, switch off the stove.
- Milagu kulambu is ready to eat with hot steamed rice, kootu and appalam.
- If you want to make this kuzhambu for 2 people, then use 1.5 Tbsp of ground pepper mix.
- If you want more spicy, then add red chillies while tempering.
- You can also add onion and garlic, if you wish.
Health Benefits of Milagu / Black Pepper
- Good for cold and cough .
- Improves digestion.
- Heals the cuts and stops the bleeding.
- Helps you to lose weight.
- Relieves Gas.
- Helps to people with anorexia.
- Natural anti-depressant.
- Prevents cancer.