My fav diwali snack is Ribbon pakoda also called as nada thenkuzhal or ola pakoda or ottu pakoda. This pakoda is very crispy snack, you can have it for evening snacks with tea or coffee. I already posted ribbon pakoda recipe with gram flour that’s an instant method. Here in this method, we have to grind the rice along with red chilies,spices and fried dal powder. Garlic and cumin adds a great flavor to this pakoda. This is my first attempt, tried this recently in my home, it came out so good and crunchy. Do try this snack for diwali, you will love it.
HOW TO MAKE RIBBON PAKODA RECIPE / HOW TO MAKE CRISPY RIBBON PAKODA
- 1 Cup of Parboiled Rice / Idly Rice
- ½ Cup of Fried Gram Dal (Pottukadalai)
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Crushed
- 1 Tsp of Cumin (jeera)
- 5 Red Chilies
- ½ Tsp of Black Pepper Powder
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- Salt to taste (approximately 1 tsp)
- ¾ cup of Water
- Soak the rice in water for 1.5 hrs. Drain the water and wash the rice.
- Grind the fried gram dal in mixie to a fine powder.
- Add rice to a wet grinder and grind it by adding ¾ cup of water, red chillies, garlic and salt until it turns smooth. At the end, add fried gram dal powder and cumin, grind it for 2 mins and remove the batter to a vessel. Add pepper powder and asafoetida, mix well with hand .
- Meanwhile heat the oil to deep fry.
- Place the ribbon pakoda plate (dash like plate) in murukku press. Grease the oil inside the murukku press, place the dough inside upto ¾ of the press. Close it tightly.
- Once the oil is hot, squeeze it directly into the oil.
- In a medium flame, deep fry the ribbon pakoda on both sides until it turns golden brown colour and ssh sound ceases.
- Drain it in a paper towel and repeat the same process for the rest of the dough.
- Hot , crispy ribbon pakoda is ready to eat.
If you are cumin lover, you can grind along with rice. If you dont like cumin, avoid it and add asafoetida.
Garlic adds a nice taste.
Adjust the no of red chilly according to your taste.