Quinoa biryani / Quinoa vegetable biryani is a super healthy and quick to make dish with lots of protein, no starch and it is a gluten free. I followed the vegetable biryani recipe and added quinoa instead of rice. I know, this dish may not look good but it tasted delicious with nutty flavor and filling. Here I used red quinoa, you can also use white quinoa in this recipe. This quinoa biryani is good for weight watchers and diabetic people. Serve this quinoa biryani with onion raita or plain yogurt and chips. (please refer note section for tips)
Also refer my other two Indian quinoa recipes
- 3 Tsp of Cooking Oil
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon
- 2 Cardamom
- ½ Tsp of Fennel Seeds
- Few Curry Leaves
- 1 Red Onion, Chopped
- 1 Green Chilly, Slit
- 2 Tsp of Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tomato, Chopped
- 2 Tbsp of Yogurt
- 7 Mint Leaves, Whole
- ¼ Cup of Chopped Carrot
- ¼ Cup of Chopped Beans
- ¼ Cup of Peas (frozen)
- 2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
- ½ Tsp of Garam Masala
- ½ Cup of Quinoa
- 1 Tbsp of Fried Onion (optional)
- ¾ Cup of Water or as needed (Refer your Quinoa bag)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander Leaves as needed
- Heat a pan with oil, when it is hot, add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, fennel seeds, curry leaves, saute it for few secs, add onion and fry till it turns golden color.
- Add green chilly and ginger garlic paste, fry for 2 mins until raw smell vanishes. Add tomato, fry till it turns soft and mushy.
- Add mint leaves, coriander leaves, carrot, beans, peas, fry it for 2 mins.
- Add coriander powder, red chilly powder and garam masala, fry it for a 2 mins.
- Add yogurt, fry well for a min.
- Add quinoa, mix well with masala and add water, salt and fried onion, let it come to rolling boil, place the tight fitting lid and simmer it for 20 mins.
- Remove it from heat and garnish it with coriander leaves and check for salt.
- While serving, dig all the way to the bottom of the pot with a laddle to get a quick mix of masala and quinoa.
- Hot, yummy quinoa vegetable biryani is ready to serve.
Fried onion is optional. Adding that gives you nice taste.
I didn't soak my quinoa, if you want. You can soak it for 15 mins and then cook.
Please check your quinoa bag for the required amount of water. Usually it will be 2 cups of water for 1 cup of quinoa. Since I added veggies and yogurt, I used ¾ cup of water for ½ cup of quinoa.
Adjust the amount of spicy taste according to your taste buds.
You can reduce the amount of vegetables, I love vegetables so I added a lot.
Tags: quinoa biryani, quinoa vegetable biryani, quinoa vegetable biryani recipe, quinoa Indian recipes, quinoa recipes, quinoa rice, how to cook quinoa in Indian cooking, prepare indian style quinoa recipe, quinoa recipes, biryani recipes, weight losing recipes, diabetic recipes