Coconut Idly Podi / Coconut Milagai Podi / Thengai podi recipe is a dry spice powder with a combination of dals, red chilly, garlic and coconut. This coconut spice powder is a flavorful, simple instant powder which we always have in our pantry. They are so aromatic and tasty because of coconut and other spices in it. This is an authentic coconut idly podi recipe which I learned from my mother-in-law. Don’t get confused with idly milagai podi which is a different recipe, I will share it later. You can have this coconut podi with idly or dosa or upma or plain rice with sesame oil / ghee.
How to make Coconut Idly Podi / Thengai Podi Recipe
- 1 Cup of Toor Dal
- 1 Cup of Urad Dal
- 1 Cup of Freshly Grated Coconut or Dry Desiccated Coconut
- ½ Cup of Coriander (Dhaniya)
- 1 Cup to 1 and ¼ Cup of Red Chilly
- 10 Garlic Cloves
- ¼ Tsp of Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Heat a pan, dry roast all the ingredients except red chilly, garlic, asafoetida and salt, till they turn golden brown color and aroma arises. Once it done, turn off the flame. Heat a pan with oil, roast the red chilly, asafoetida and garlic, till they turn golden brown color.
- Let it cool down for 5-10 mins.
- In a mixie, grind all the ingredients together and salt to a fine powder. Store it in an airtight container.
- Serve it with idly or dosa or upma or rice with gingelly oil.
To increase shelf life, use only dry spoon.
Adjust the number of red chilly according to your taste
Tags: Coconut Idly Podi, Thengai Podi Recipe, coconut idly podi recipe, thengai podi recipe, idly podi recipe, podi recipe, side dish for idly dosa, thengai milagai podi, spiced coconut powder, chutney powder, thavana podi., coconut spice powder, Coconut podi brahmin Style, coconut podi, thengai podi, side dish for idly dosa