Quinoa is considered as super food which is loaded with lots of antioxidants, protein , fiber, iron, vitamins and other minerals. This grain is getting more popular, has low glycemic index and it is gluten free. You can replace quinoa with rice, I know it is expensive but it has lot of health benefits like lowering cholesterol, good for digestion, lowers blood sugar level and cures heart diseases. Nowdays I am trying few recipes with quinoa. I already posted quinoa dosa few months back and I made quinoa biryani which I will post in coming weeks. Few weeks back, my mom made thinai paniyaram and said it came out good. I don’t get thinai (foxtail millet) in my place so I replaced with quinoa. The outcome was good and tasty.
Quinoa kuzhi paniyaram recipe (Quinoa Lentil balls) is a healthy and delicious gluten free and vegan breakfast recipe. Here I used red quinoa which I got from walmart. You can use any kind of quinoa. If you don’t get quinoa, replace it with thinai (foxtail millet). You can make even dosa with the same batter. In traditional kuzhi paniyaram, we add seasonings to the batter, but here I skipped that. If you want, you can add seasonings or grated carrots to the batter and make paniyaram. Make this quinoa paniyaram for breakfast or dinner or evening snacks for kids. Serve this paniyaram with coconut chutney or tomato chutney.
HOW TO MAKE QUINOA KUZHI PANIYARAM RECIPE
- 1 Cup of Idly Rice
- 1 Cup of Quinoa, I used red quinoa
- ½ Cup of Urad Dal
- 1 Tsp of Fenugreek
- Salt to taste
- Oil as needed
- Water as needed
- Soak idly rice, quinoa, urad dal, fenugreek together in a bowl for overnight.
- Next day, wash twice in tap water and grind it in a grinder / mixie with required water to a smooth paste. Add salt and mix well with hand.
- Leave it outside to ferment for 5-6 hrs.
- Add oil and pour the batter in the preheated, oil-greased kuzhi paniyaram pan (aebleskivar pan) and cook till done.
- Turn over the paniyaram with the help of a skewer and cook the other side.
- Remove the paniyaram from the pan after it turns golden brown color .
- Ready to serve with tomato chutney or coconut chutney.
You can use any kind of quinoa to make this paniyaram.
If you don't get quinoa, replace it with thinai (foxtail millet).
You can make even dosa with the same batter.
Don’t cook paniyaram in high flame, which will turn paniyaram brown and leaving uncooked on inside.
Do not leave the batter outside for more than 6 hrs. Batter will turn tangy in taste.
You can refrigerate batter for 2 days. After that it will turns sour in taste.
For a healthier version, add grated carrot and chopped spinach to the batter.
Tags: quinoa kuzhi paniyaram recipe, quinoa paniyaram, quinoa recipes, quinoa Indian recipes, quinoa recipe ideas, how to make quinoa paniyaram, prepare quinoa paniyaram, kuzhi paniyaram recipe, easy quinoa recipe, quinoa lentil balls, healthy Indian breakfast recipes, kids snacks healthy, gluten free breakfast recipes, vegan Indian breakfast recipe, thinai paniyaram recipe