Potato fry or Easy South Indian Urulaikizhangu (potato) fry or aloo fry is a simple and quick stir fried recipe made with potato. This easy potato curry goes well with sambar rice or rasam rice or curd rice. I have two other posts of potato side dish recipe – Baby potato roast and potato peas fry. In this recipe, I used sambar powder instead of coriander and red chilly powder. Then the addition of fspices like fennel seeds and garlic gives a nice flavor and a great taste to potatoes. This is very tempting dish in which each bite of potato, you can feel the softness on inside and spicy masala coat on outside. I already posted baby potato roast. Serve this fry along with a bowl of rice topped with ghee and dal,.
- 4 Medium Size Potatoes
- 2 Tsp of Sambar Powder
- 1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Tsp of Fennel Seeds
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
- Boil the potatoes along with required water in a kadai (Pan) or in a pressure cooker. Peel the skin of potatoes and chop them into small pieces.
- In a mixie, grind fennel seeds and garlic cloves into a semi coarse powder. Keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add chopped potatoes, ground masala, sambar powder, garam masala and salt. Keep frying till all the masala coat well the potatoes, sprinkle little water, cover the lid, in a medium flame, allow it cook for 5 mins, again give a gentle stir, cook it for another 5 mins until it gets roasted well. Switch off.
- This easy potato curry goes well with sambar rice or rasam rice or curd rice.
- If you don’t have sambar powder, use 2 Tsp of coriander powder, 1/2 Tsp of turmeric powder and 1 Tsp of red chilly powder.
- You can follow the same procedure for raw banana and colocasia.
- Always fry the potatoes in a medium flame.
- Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves, if you wish.
- Adding garlic is to avoid gas flatulence.
- Always cook in irumbu kadai or cast iron pan to get roasted potatoes.
Health Benefits of Potato
- Easy to digest and facilitates digestion.
- High in vitamin B, C and minerals.
- Good for skin and brain function.
- Rich in carbohydrates and low in protein, ideal for people who wants to increase their body weight.
- Reduces inflammation.
tempting fry. looks yumm.
Comments are closed.