In India, summer has started.. When I think of summer, three things comes to my mind, they are mangoes, hot weather and vacation. Variety of mangoes started flooding the market. So I bought raw and ripened mangoes. I made this easy one pot meal (variety rice) with mango, it is very simple to make rice dish with less ingredients and it tastes more like south Indian Lemon Rice . In this mango rice recipe, the mango gives a tangy taste and it is counter balanced with aromatic masala which has red chillies, ginger, coconut and cumin in it. You can make this mango rice for ugadi festival menu, and it is perfect to pack for kids and adults lunch box.
- Preparation Time : 15 Mins
- Cooking Time : 10 Mins
- Servings : 2 People
- 4 Red Chilies
- 1 Inch of Ginger
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
- 2 Tbsp of Grated Coconut
- Few Curry Leaves
- 6 Small Onions(Shallots)
- 1 Tsp of Mustard
- 1 Tsp of Urad Dal
- 1 Tsp of Channa Dal (Bengal Gram)
- Pinch of Hing
- 2 Cups of Cooked White Rice
- 1 Cup of Grated Mango
- 2 Tbsp of Gingelly Oil
- 1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- Salt as needed
- Cook the white rice in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles. Open the lid and cool down the rice.
- Wash and grate the raw mango finely.
- Grind all the ingredients listed under ” To Grind ” without adding water.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal and hing, after it sizzles and dal changes color, in a medium flame, add turmeric powder, fry for a min. Add grated mango, ground masala and salt fry for 5 mins until raw smell vanishes. Turn off the flame.
- Finally add white rice and little oil, gently mix well make sure not to break the rice grains. Check for salt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with potato fry or papad or appalam.
- Add peanuts or cashews nuts if you prefer.
- You can use basmathi rice or raw rice or left over rice.
- Cool down the freshly cooked rice before mixing it with masala.
Health Benefits of Raw Mango
- Green mangoes are silver bullet to gastro intestinal problems.
- Rich in vitamin B & C.
- Due to the presence of vitamin C, it strengthens the immune system.
- Useful in the treatment of scurvy.
- Cures blood and liver disorders.