Pirandai Thuvaiyal Recipe / Adamant Creeper Chutney / veldt grape chutney is a healthy dish for rice and idly with lots of medicinal values. My mom used to grow this creeper plant in backyard and it just beautify the fences with its green stem. We make thuvaiyal (chutney) with pirandai and also dosai. If you don’t feel hungry for few days, eat this pirandai chutney , then you feel more hungry and also it cures all digestive problems. You can make this chutney with or without coconut. Cleaning pirandai is little tedious as it makes our hand itching so always wear gloves while cleaning. Best acompaniment to pirandai chutney are dosa, idly and rice with ghee.
- 1 Small Bunch of Pirandai (Adamant Creeper) cleaned, chopped into small pieces
- 3 Tbsp of Urad Dal
- 6 Red Chillies
- 1/2 Inch Ginger
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- Lemon Size Tamarind
- 1 Tbsp of Oil
- Pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
- Salt to taste
- Peel the fibre from corners of pirandai using a sharp knife. Remove the top and bottom part. Chop them into small pieces.
- Wash the pirandai in a cold tap water.
- Heat two tsp of oil, add red chilies, garlic cloves, ginger, hing, urad dal and tamarind, add this one by one, saute this for 2-3 mins in a medium flame. Transfer all the ingredients to a plate and in the same pan, add oil and pirandai and saute well till it shrinks its size. Transfer this to a plate and let it cool down.
- In mixie, add all the ingredients, water and salt, grind this to a smooth paste.
- Enjoy with hot steamed rice and ghee. You can also use this as side dish for idly and dosa.
- Wear gloves before cleaning the pirandai, otherwise it makes the hand itchy.
- You can also add grated coconut while roasting.
- Always buy Pirandais that looks tender, as they are easy to clean.
- Adjust the number of red chilies according to your taste.
- You can also season the chutney with oil, mustard and curry leaves.
Health Benefits of Pirandai (Adament Creeper)
- Good source of vitamin C and calcium.
- It is used to cure knee problems and used in the treatment of fracture.
- Pirandai juice is given to ladies those who have irregular periods.
- It acts as an appetiser.
- They are good for people with digestive problems.
- They can rejoin the broken or dislocated bones in the body.