This is very common and classic south Indian dish. Everyone loves potato. But Baby potatoes/Chiina Urulai are my fav, whenever I hit the grocery store, it always tempt me to buy. It is very easy to make dish, with no temperings. First you have to boil the potatoes, peel it, mix it with aromatic Spice powder, yogurt and garlic, finally in cast iron pan, slowly roast it in oil. Slow roasting the potatoes, always gives a nice crispy texture on outside and soft and tasty on inside. Adding spice powder and garlic gives a nice flavor to the potato. It goes well with sambhar rice / rasam rice / curd rice.
12 Baby Potatoes
2 Tbsp of Thick Curd
2 Tsp of Sambhar Powder
1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
1 Garlic Clove, Minced
Salt to Taste
2 Tbsp of Gingelly Oil (Indian Sesame Oil) / Vegetable Oil
- Wash the baby potatoes in cold tap water.
- Mince the garlic in mortar and pestle.
- Heat a pan with water and boil the potatoes for 10 mins in a medium flame. Let the potatoes cool down for 5 mins, peel the skin of the potatoes. Keep it aside.
- In a bowl, place baby potatoes, add curd(yogurt), sambhar powder, garam masala, salt and minced garlic, mix well with hand, make sure all your baby potatoes are coated well with masala. Don’t marinate it.
- Heat a non stick pan / Cast iron pan with oil, add the potatoes, fry well for 2 mins, simmer it, cover and cook it for 10-15 mins, in between give a quick stir. If it sticks to the pan, just sprinkle little water, fry it.
- Hot, crispy potato roast is ready to serve with sambar rice or rasam rice or curd rice.
- If you don’t have sambhar powder, add 2 tsp of coriander powder, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of red chilly powder.
- If you don’t have coriander powder and red chilly powder, replace it with cayenne pepper and black pepper powder.
- Always cook in cast iron pan / irumbu kadai to get crispy roasted potatoes.
- You can also marinate the potatoes in masala for 15 mins and then cook it.
- Adding curd gives little tangy taste to the potatoes.
- Adding garlic is to avoid gas flatulence.
Health Benefits of Potato
- Rich in carbohydrates and low in protein, ideal for people who wants to increase their body weight.
- Easy to digest and facilitates digestion.
- High in vitamin B, C and minerals.
- Good for skin and brain function.
- Reduces inflammation.
- It may offset the incidence of kidney stones.