Kadappa Recipe / Kumbakonam Kadappa is a flavorful stew made with moong dal, potato, coconut and other spices. This kadappa recipe is a great side dish for idly, idiyappam, poori and dosa. Popular in Kumbakonam, a place in South India hence the name kumbakonam kadappa. I have tasted this kadappa in Thajavur mess in Chennai and I have no idea on how to make kadappa at home. When I was talking to my neighbor the other day, she told me this recipe so I tried it yesterday, it came out so good and I loved it. I had this kadappa with soft, hot idly for breakfast. Try this recipe, you will love it for sure.
How to make Kadappa Recipe
- 3 Potato (Medium Size)
- ¼ Cup of Yellow Moong Dal
- ¼ Cup of Grated Coconut
- 4 Green Chilies
- 1.5 Tbsp of Fried Gram Dal (pottukadalai)
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tsp of Khus Khus (Kasa kasa / Poppy Seeds)
- 2 Red Onion, Sliced
- Juice from ½ Lemon
- Salt to taste
- Few Coriander Leaves
- TO Temper
- 2 Tbsp of Gingelly Oil
- 2 Small Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tsp of Fennel Seeds
- Few Curry Leaves
- Boil the potato with little water in a pressure cooker for 1-2 whistles. Remove the skin, chop it into big pieces or mash it roughly. Keep it aside.
- In the same pressure cooker, add moong dal, drop of oil and water, cook it for 3 whistles. Mash the dal and keep it aside.
- In a mixie, add coconut, green chilly, fried gram, khus khus and water, grind it to a smooth paste.
- Heat a pan with oil, add all the temper ingredients, fry it for few secs.
- Add onion, fry it for few mins until it turns golden brown. Add cooked moong dal, potato, ground paste, salt and enough water, cook it for 10-15 mins in medium flame until raw smell vanishes.
- Once it done, turn it off and add lemon juice and coriander leaves, mix well and serve it with idly or dosa.
If you want more spicy side, add 1 or 2 green chilly.
If you want your stew to be watery, add some more water to it.
Do not add turmeric powder to this dish.
You can also add any vegetables of your choice like carrots or drumsticks.
Tags: kadappa recipe, how to make kadappa at home, kumbakonam kadappa recipe, thajavur kadappa recipe, south Indian kadappa recipe, how to prepare kadappa dish, kadappa recipe in tamil, south Indian side dish recipe, side dish for idly dosa.