Gongura Rice Recipe / Pulicha keerai sadham / Sorrel leaves rice is a tasty, easy south Indian variety rice dish that can be prepared very quickly at home. Gongura in telugu / Pulicha keerai in tamil / sorrel leaves is very famous in Andhra Pradesh. Gongura leaves are sour in taste and high in vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. This is my mom’s recipe. You can make a lot of interesting recipes with gongura leaves like gongura pickle, gongura chutney. I already posted gongura chutney (pulich keerai thuvaiyal) in my blog.
This gongura rice tastes great with appalam, vadam, chips or fry. You can prepare this rice with leftover rice too. You can pack this variety rice for travel or lunch box.
How to make Gongura Rice Recipe
- 3 Cups of Cooked Rice
- 1 Bunch of Gongura Leaves (Pulicha Keerai)
- To roast and grind
- 1 Tbsp of Gingelly Oil
- 12 Red chilies
- 14 Garlic cloves
- Handful of Coriander Seeds
- 2 Tsp of Cumin
- 1 Tsp of Fenugreek Seeds
- To Temper
- ¼ Cup of Gingelly Oil or vegetable oil
- 1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp of Urad Dal
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- Few Curry Leaves
- Remove the gongura leaves from the stem, wash it in tap water and keep this aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, roast all the ingredients listed under " To roast and grind" list, fry for 2-3 mins in a medium flame till color changes and aroma comes. Turn off the flame. Let it cool for 5 mins.
- In the same pan, add gongura leaves, saute this for few mins until leaves shrinks and color changes. Turn off the flame. Let them cool down for 5 mins.
- In a blender, add the roasted spices, grind it to a coarse powder. To the same blender, now add sauted gongura leaves and salt, grind it to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, when it is hot, add mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and asafoetida, when it splutters, add the ground paste, saute well for 2 mins and turn off the flame. Gongura thokku is ready.
- In a deep bowl, add the cooked rice, let it cool for 15 mins. Add gongura thokku, gently mix well with rice. You can add a tsp of ghee if you want.
I used long red chillies (Neeta milagai). You can also use round one (gundu milagai).
If you want more tangy side, add tamarind.
If you have leftover gongura paste, refrigerate it. It stays good for 2 weeks.
Tags: Gongura Rice Recipe, Pulicha keerai sadham, how to make gongura rice at home, sorrel leaves rice recipe, south Indian variety rice, andhra style gongura recipe, gongura recipes, leftover rice recipe, lunch box recipe.