Godhumai Rava Semiya Payasam Recipe / Cracked Wheat Payasam is a yummilicious traditional dessert prepared with godhumai ravai (cracked wheat), jaggery, vermicelli, ghee and nuts. Cracked wheat or broken wheat is also called as godhumai ravai (samba godhumai) in tamil, daliya in hindi, godhambu rava in malayalam and godhuma rava in telugu. This payasam is one of my favourite and this is a winner recipe. When I was doing my college, they conducted cookery competition, in which I prepared this payasam and got first prize. That day I used coconut milk in my godhumai payasam for rich and creamy taste. But in this recipe, I used only regular cows milk. I used jaggery as sweetener, you can also use palm jaggery or sugar. This is a very easy samba godhumai payasam even beginners or bachelor can try this during festival occasion. Today is onam so I would like to share traditional recipe. So here comes the recipe of godhumai ravai payasam 🙂
How to make Godhumai Rava Semiya Payasam Recipe
- ¼ Cup of Godhumai Rava (Cracked Wheat / Broken Wheat)
- 2 Tbsp of Semiya (Vermicelli)
- ½ Cup of Jaggery
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 Tsp of Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 2 Cardamom, Crushed
- 1.5 Tbsp of Coconut
- Few roasted Cashews and raisins
- ½ Cup of Boiled Milk
- 1 cup of water
- Heat a pan, roast the cracked wheat for few mins and add ½ cup of water and a pinch of salt, cover and cook until it turns soft. Remove it from flame and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan, roast the semiya and add less than ½ cup of water, cover and cook it for 5-10 mins or until it turns soft . Remove it from flame and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan, add ghee, roast the cashews, raisins and coconut. Keep is aside.
- Heat the same pan, add jaggery and water, wait until it melts. now add cooked cracked wheat, cooked semiya, ghee, cashews, raisins, coconut, crushed cardamom, simmer it for 5-10 mins or until it turns thick. Add milk, mix well, cook it in a simmer for few mins and turn off the stove.
- Hot, yummy godhumai ravai semiya payasam is ready to serve.
For vegan version, add almond milk or soy milk.
Add sugar or palm jaggery instead of jaggery.
If you are using bigger variety of broken wheat, it is better to grind in a mixie to make it fine for easy cooking.
Add any nuts of your choice.
If you have coconut milk, add it in place of cows milk for rich and creamy payasam.
If you don't like vermicelli, just avoid it and add cracked wheat alone.
Tags : Cracked Wheat Semiya Payasam Recipe, broken wheat payasam recipe, cracked wheat payasam, godhumai ravai semiya payasam recipe, samba godhumai payasam, traditional onam payasam, onam recipe, godhambu rava payasam, godhuma rava payasam, daliya kheer, payasam recipe, easy payasam recipe, festival payasam, healthy payasam, broken wheat kheer, payasam with jaggery
Helathy and yummy payasam
This looks healthy and delicious.
Comments are closed.