Moong dal tadka is a delicious and simple recipe which you can easily made for everyday cooking or you can do this dal tadka if you are lazy or run out of vegetables. This simply delicious dal tadka goes well steamed rice or chapathi. This moong dal is most healthiest food in ayurveda. This Moong dal tadka is more nutritious, easy to digest when compare to other legumes, also they do not create abdominal gas or flatulence. Moong dal recipe is good for kids and pregnant women.
Preparing moong dal tadka is easy, first pressure cook the dal, onion and tomatoes. Finally temper it with spices before serving.
Dal are often called Paruppu in tamil, it is a staple food in India. They are good source of protein in vegetarian diet.
Tadka, it is a Hindi word for tempering, Tempering done with spices like mustard and cumin in butter or oil.
Preparation Time : 5 mins Cooking Time : 30 mins Serves : 4
Ingredients for moong dal tadka
- 1 Cup of Yellow Moong Dal
- 1 Medium Size Red Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 Large Tomato, Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Inch Ginger, Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
- 1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- 3 Cups of Water
- Salt as required
- 2 Tbsp of Oil / Ghee
- 1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
- 1/4 Tsp of Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 Green Chilly, Slit
- 1 Red Chilly
- 6 Garlic Cloves, Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
- Few Coriander Leaves
- Soak the dal in water for 1 hr. Drain it and wash it in tap water.
- Add all the ingredients except “to temper ingredients ” to pressure cooker for 3 whistles until it turns soft. Open the lid and stir the dal.
- Heat a pan with oil, when it is hot, add mustard, cumin and red chilly, after it crackles, add asafoetida, green chilies and garlic cloves, fry it for few seconds.
- Simmer it and add garam masala, fry it for seconds, immediately add cooked moong dal, stir the moong dal, if your dal is thick, add little water, cook it for mins and turn off the flame. Finally garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot moong dal with steamed rice or chapathi.
- Instead of oil, you can temper it with ghee or butter.
- If you want your dal to be little more spicy, add some more red chilli powder to dal.
- Soaking dal is for easy digestion. You can also make dal without soaking.
- You can cook the moong dal either in pressure cooker or in stove top or in microwave.
Technorati Tags : dal tadka, dal tadka recipe, dal tadka restaurant style, how to make dal tadka recipe, easy dal tadka, north indian dal recipes, dhaba style dal tadka, how to make moong dal tadka, punjabi dal tadka recipe, tadka dal tadka recipe, dal recipe for chapathi
looks yumm.. feeling hungry now 🙂
Comments are closed.