Elephant yam is a tuber and it is widely consumed in countries like Africa and Asian country like India. Elephant yam Fry / Senaikizhangu varuval / Suran Fry is my family favourite dish and this yam fry goes well with sambar rice or rasam rice or dal rice. Personally I love to eat senaikizhangu varuval with hot and spicy rasam.
To make Elephant yam fry – Yam takes long time to cook, so first they are cooked in boiling water till soft and then proceed sauting it with masala, garlic, spices and salt. Fennel make this yam fry so flavourful and tasty. Apart from making yam as side dish for rice, you can also eat it with chapathi. Try this elephant yam fry at home for sambar and let me know in comment box how it turned out..
Health Benefits of Elephant Yam
- It acts as an anticoagulant.
- Increases estrogen level in the women body, helping in hormonal balance.
- It contains essential fatty acids, thereby increases good cholesterol in body.
- Natural cure for constipation and irregular bowel movements.
- Good for piles patients.
- Rich in vitamin B6, so it relief premenstrual syndrome.
Preparation Time :10 mins Cooking Time : 30 mins Serves : 3
Ingredients For Elephant Yam Fry
- 1/4 kg Elephant Yam / Senai,
- 2 Tsp of Sambar Powder
- 1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Tsp of Fennel Seeds (Sombu)
- 2-3 Tbsp of Oil
Method for Senai kizhangu varuval
- Peel the skin, wash and cut the yam into pieces (not too thick or thin)
- In a pan, add water and yam slices, boil them till it turns soft. Filter the water and keep it aside.
- Crush the garlic cloves in mortar and pestle.
- Heat a pan with oil, when it is hot, add fennel seeds, after it sizzles, add sliced yam, give a gentle stir, by flipping the slices to other side.
- In a medium flame, add crushed garlic, sambar powder, garam masala and salt, give a quick stir, do not break the slices, make sure the masala coats all the sweet yam pieces. Cover the lid and cook it for 5 mins.
- Add some more oil and turn the yam slices to other side, cover the lid and cook it for another 7 mins until it turns brown and crisp.
- Yummy yam fry is ready to serve with sambar rice or rasam rice or dal rice.
- You can cook the yam either in pressure cooker or in stove top.
- If you don’t have sambhar powder, add 2 tsp of coriander powder, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of red chilly powder.
- If you don’t have coriander powder and red chilly powder, replace it with cayenne pepper and black pepper powder.
- Always cook in cast iron pan / irumbu kadai to get crispy yam.
- You can also marinate the potatoes in masala for 15 mins and then cook it.
- Adding garlic is to avoid gas flatulence.