Millets are one of the oldest foods known to humans and possibly the first cereal grain to be used for domestic purposes. they are short term crop, give a quick yield even with less water. Varagu sadham / Varagu arisi sadham / kodo millet rice is very nutritious, good for vegetarian as it was high in fibre and protein. You can cook millets like ( kuthiravalli, samai, thenai), varagu) at home either in pressure cooker or in pan. Varagu are very easy to digest, so it is good for both kids and adults. Now days I substitute millets in place of rice and wheat to prevents diabetes, weight loss and other disease when used regularly. Most millets can be cooked like rice. You can make different millet recipe in place of rice such as idli, dosa, payasam/kheer. Millet flour can be used to make rotis.
Kinds of millets available in markets.
Barnyard Millet (Hindi: Jhangora; Tamil: Kuthiravaali; Telugu: Odalu)
Finger Millet (Hindi: Mandua; Tamil: Kelvargu; Telugu: Ragulu; Kannada: Ragi; Malayalam: Koovarugu)
Foxtail Millet (Hindi: Kangni; Tamil: Tenai; Telugu: Korra; Kannada: Navane; Malayalam: Thina)
Kodo Millet (Hindi: Kodra; Tamil: Varagu; Telugu: Arikelu; Kannada: Harka)
Little Millet (Hindi: Kutki; Tamil: Samai; Telugu: Sama; Kannada: Same; Malayalam: Chama)
Pearl Millet (Hindi: Bajra, Tamil: Kambu, Telugu: Gantilu, Kannada: Sajje)
Proso Millet (Hindi: Barri; Tamil: Panivaragu; Telugu: Varigulu; Kannada: Baragu)
Sorghum (Hindi: Jowar; Tamil: Cholam; Telugu: Jonna; Kannada: Jola; Malayalam: Cholum)
Health Benefits of Varagu Rice (Kodo Millets)
- Digestion friendly.
- Gluten free, rich in vitamins and minerals.
- High in fiber and protein.
- Controls cholestrol and blood sugar.
- Act as a prebiotic feeding microflora in your inner ecosystem.
- Serotonin in the millet calms and soothes the mood.
- Hydrate your colon to keep your system regular and keep you from being constipated.
Preparation Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 15 mins Serves : 2- 3 People
Ingredients for varagu rice
- 1 Cup of Kodo Milet ( Varagu Rice )
- 3 Cups of Water
- Wash the millets. In the pressure cooker, add millet and water. Cook it for 3 whistles and turn off the heat.
- Serve it with sambar or rasam or curd.
- Substitute millet in place of rice.
- You can make idly or dosa or variety rice with millets.
- You can cook the millet either in pressure cooker or in pan.
- If you are cooking in pan, first add water to the pan, allow it to boil, after you see bubbles, add millet and cover it with a lid, let it cook for 15 mins. Turn off the flame. Do not open the pan for another 15 mins.
- Use 2.5 – 3 cups of water to 1 cup of varagu depending on your preference.
nice recipe. Thanks for sharing.
Comments are closed.