Bajra Roti is used mainly in Rajasthan, Gujarat and Haryana. Bajra are also called Kambu in tamil. Millet are getting popular as they are gluten free. This bajra or pearl millet is tasty and nutty in flavour. This is my first time I made, it taste really great with onion raita and dal.
1 Cup of Bajra Flour/Pearl millet/Kambu
1/2 Cup of Wheat Flour
1 Cup of Finely Chopped Spinach
1 Finely Chopped Green Chilly
1/2 Inch Finely Chopped Ginger
1 Tsp of Jeera/Cumin
3 Tbsp of Chopped Cilantro/Coriander leaves
3 Tbsp of Oil
Salt and water as needed
- Mix bajra ,wheat flour, spinach, green chilly, ginger, jeera, cilantro, oil and salt in a big wide bowl.
- Make a well in the center. In the meantime boil the water in a kettle.
- Now slowly add warm water in the centre of the bowl. Mix thoroughly with a fork to get stiff dough. I took 1/2 cup of warm water to knead the dough.
- Now the dough is ready. Cover and let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Knead the dough and divide into equal portions and make it into round balls.
- Heat tawa or pan. In the meantime lightly grease the rolling surface with flour. Take one ball and make it circular with a rolling pin.
- Carefully place the roti on the heated pan. You will see tiny bubbles rises on the surface of roti.
- Now it’s time to flip the roti with a spatula. Once first flip is done, apply oil or ghee on the upper surface and spread all over the roti.
- Flip again in 30 secs and apply some oil. Press roti gently with a spatula and cook till brown spots appear on both the sides of the roti.
- Bajra roti is done when both sides are brown and crispy. Remove it from pan and place it in serving dish.
- Repeat the same process with each ball of dough.
- Serve with any dal or yogurt or any subzi.
- You can use methi leaves or grated carrot instead of spinach.
Health Benefits of Bajra(Kambu)
- Gluten free grain rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber.
- It contains 13 essential amino acids.
- It’s good for bones.
- This grain is easily digestible.
- Lowers the cholesterol level in body.
- Good to eat bajra roti’s in winter.