Chutney is a spicy condiment associated with south Indian breakfast menu. This kind of finger licking and colorful chutney recipes for idly and dosa always teases your palate, brighten you mood and sizzle your taste buds. small onion chutney / chinna vengaya chutney is a spicy and a traditional south Indian side dish recipe for idly, dosa and paniyaram. I already posted onion chutney and onion tomato chutney recipe for idly and dosa in my blog. I really love this small onion (shallots/ china vengayam) chutney for hot idly. You can also replace big red onion to make this chutney. Try this easy small onion chutney recipe (without coconut ) for breakfast.
Onion Chutney Recipe – Ingredients
To Fry and Grind
- 2 Handful of Small Onions
- 10 Big Garlic Cloves
- 3 Red Chillies
- Small Gooseberry Size of Tamarind
- 1 Big Tomato
- 6 Curry Leaves
- Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tsp of Gingelly Oil
- 2 -3 Tsp of Gingelly Oil
- 1 Tsp of Mustard
- 1 Tsp of Urad Dal
- 5 Curry Leaves
Method for chinna vengaya chutney
- Heat a pan with oil, add all the ingredients listed under ” To fry and To grind ” saute it one by one, cool down and grind it with water to a smooth paste.
- Heat a pan with oil, temper with the ingredients listed under ” To Temper ” after it sizzles, pour this to chutney, mix well.
- Serve it for hot idly and dosa or paniyaram.
Tips for small onion chutney
- You can make this chutney either with small onion or big onion.
- Skip tomato if you use more tamarind.
- Adjust number of red chillies according to your taste.
Health Benefits of Small Onion
- Rich in iron, fibre and potassium
- strengthen the immune system.
- good for heart, tooth, eyes and hair.
- lowers cholesterol, blood pressure and prevents cancer.