South Indian Pottukadalai Murukku / Roasted chana dal murukku recipe
South Indian Pottukadalai Murukku / Roasted chana dal murukku recipe/ Fried gram murukku is the easiest instant murukku recipe that can be made quickly at home with store bought rice flour and just powder the pottukadalai (roasted gram) which is readily available at home and make this anytime. It has been 15 days since I posted recipe in my blog. Recently I get hit with pollen allergy so frequent sneezing and got itchy eyes so I was away from computer for few weeks. Coming to the recipe, this murukku is crispy and crunchy in taste, so you can make this for evening snacks or during festivals like diwali or krishna jayanthi. The flavor of ajwain and the butter added to this murukku gives a heavenly taste. This murukku is made with thick sev disc, you can try with any disc as you wish. Try it, you will love it.
Also try my other murukku recipes in foodybuddy
- Thenkuzhal murukku
- Mullu Murukku
- Puzhangal arisi murukku (Idlyrice murukku)
- Moong Dal murukku
- Butter Murukku
- Ribbon Pakoda
How to make South Indian Pottukadalai Murukku / Roasted chana dal murukku recipe
- 1 Cup of Store bought rice flour
- ¼ Cup of Pottukadalai / roasted chana dal / fried gram
- ¾ Tsp of Ajwain (omam)
- ½ Tbsp of Butter
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil to deep fry
- In a dry mixer, grind the roasted gram to a fine powder.
- In a bowl, sieve the roasted gram flour and rice flour.
- To the bowl, add ajwain, melted butter, asafoetida, salt. Mix this well.
- Add water slowly and carefully, mix the flour to form a smooth dough.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a shallow pan to deep fry.
- Grease the murukku press with oil, fill the press with dough and close it tightly. You can use any shape of disc. Here I used 6 big holes disc used to make thick sev.
- To check the oil is hot, add a small piece of dough, if it rises immediately then oil is ready. If you have kitchen thermometer, use that and check for 350 F.
- Press the murukku directly to oil or to a laddle then transfer it to a oil. Cook both the sides until golden brown colour in a medium flame until “Ssh” sound stops and bubbles reduced.
- Remove it from oil and drain it in a paper towel.
- Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the dough.
If you don’t like ajwain taste, replace it with cumin or sesame seeds.
Don’t add too much of butter, then your murukku will absorb more oil when frying.
If you want your murukku spicy, add chillly paste.
Use any shape disc to make murukku.
You can also either use homemade rice flour or store bought idiyappam flour..
Always cook murukku in medium flame for even cooking.
If your murukku breaks while pressing the dough, add little water to the dough and knead it before pressing.
Tags: south indian pottukadalai murukku pottukadalai murukku recipe, roasted chana dal murukku, fried gram murkku, south indian murrukku recipe, easy murukku recipe, simple murukku recipe, how to make murukku at home with store bought rice flour. how to prepare murukku with rice flour.south indian diwali murukku recipe