Godhuma Rava Pongal Recipe / Cracked Wheat Pongal
Godhuma Rava Pongal Recipe / Cracked Wheat Pongal / Broken Wheat pongal is a healthy breakfast dish for kids and adults. This wheat rava pongal is prepared with cracked wheat, moong dal spiced up with ginger, green chilly, pepper and cumin. This dish is very good for diabetes patients. You can have this samba rava pongal for breakfast or lunch or dinner, they are very filling and satisfying. I am not a upma lover and I particularly hate godhuma rava (cracked wheat ) upma when I was a kid. As cracked wheat are good for health so my mom makes cracked wheat payasam or pongal made with broken wheat once in a while. I enjoy to eat it as pongal because it tastes really yummy when compare to regular venpongal (ghee pongal). Serve this pongal with sambar or coconut chutney. Also check my other pongal recipes – oats pongal, venpongal, sweet pongal, rava pongal, samai (little millet) pongal, kalkandu pongal (rock candy pongal)
How to make Godhuma Rava Pongal Recipe
- ¾ Cup of Cracked wheat / Broken wheat / Godhuma rava
- ¼ Cup of Yellow Moong dal
- 2 Tbsp of Ginger (Crushed)
- 1 Tsp of Black Pepper
- 1 Green Chilly
- 1.5 Tsp of Cumin
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 2-3 Tsp of Ghee
- 2 Tsp of Oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak moong dal in water for 15 mins. Drain the water and wash it twice.
- In a pressure cooker, add dal, roast it without oil, add 1.5 cups of water and cook it for 3 whistles.
- Heat water in a pan. On the other side, heat another pan with oil and ghee, when it is hot, add ginger, green chilly, asafoetida, pepper and cumin, after it pops up.
- Add cracked wheat, fry it for few secs.
- Now add boiled water, stir well like we do for upma.
- After all water got absorbed, add cooked moong dal, salt and mix everything well. Cook it for 2 mins, finally add a tsp of ghee and cashews. Mix well and remove from heat.
- Godhuma rava pongal is ready to serve with sambar or coconut chutney.
If you love you can add turmeric powder to this pongal.
Adding ghee gives a nice taste.
Tags: cracked wheat pongal recipe, godhuma rava pongal, godhuma rava pongal recipe, broken wheat pongal wheat rava pongal, samba godhumai pongal, pongal recipe for breakfast, south indian breakfast recipe, easy breakfast recipe, diabetic pongal recipe.