Oats pongal is a healthy Indian breakfast recipe. This oats pongal is very nutritious dish, as it has oats and moong dal and it tastes more like venpongal recipe. I made this pongal in pressure cooker, so it takes only less time to cook and to have breakfast.
To make oats pongal recipe, you need oats, moong dal and spices. I love dishes with moong dal, as they are light to digest and easy to cook. Tempering with spices like pepper, cumin, green chilly and ginger makes oats pongal more flavorful. I usually make oats idly, oats dosa, oats upma and oats paniyaram. My friend told this recipe so I followed, it came out so good. You can have oats pongal for breakfast or lunch or dinner.
How to make oats pongal recipe
Preparation Time : 30 mins Cooking Time : 15 mins Serves : 3
Ingredients for oats pongal recipe
- 1/2 Cup of Oats ( I used quaker)
- 1/4 Cup of Yellow Moong Dal
- 5 Cashews, Broke into pieces
- Salt to taste
- Ghee to fry oats and cashews
- 3/4 – 1 cup of Water
- 2 Tsp of Oil / Ghee
- 1 Tsp of Whole Cumin
- 1 Tsp of Whole Black Pepper
- 1 Green Chilly
- 1 Tsp of Ginger, Finely Chopped
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- Few Curry Leaves
Method to make oats pongal
- Soak the moong dal in water for 15 mins.
- Pressure cook the dal with 3/4 cup of water and cook for 4 whistles until it turns soft.
- Fry the cashews in ghee until golden brown colour.
- Fry the oats in ghee for 2 mins until it changes colour and aroma comes.
- Heat a pan with ghee, add all the ingredients listed under ” To Temper”. Fry it until it splutters.
- Add water and salt, let it come to boil, now add oats, cook until it turns soft.
- Add cooked moong dal, mix well and cook until it reaches semi-thick consistency. Turn off the flame. Finally add fried cashews and give a quick stir.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or sambar.
- You can also cook both dal and oats together in cooker.
- Adjust the amount of water according to your wish.
- You can add grated vegetables like carrot or spinach leaves to this pongal.
- Use 3/4 cup of milk in place of water while cooking oats.
Health Benefits of Oats
- Oats are good source of dietary fiber.
- Oats contains one of the best source of Inositol, which is important maintaining for blood cholesterol level.
- It acts as an antidepressant.
Tags : oats recipes, oats pongal recipe, oats pongal, oats diabetic friendly recipe, quaker oats recipes, saffola oats recipe, Indian oats breakfast recipe, oats diet recipes, oats recipe in tamil, easy oats recipes, how to make oats pongal, prepare oats pongal recipe, oats recipe for dinner