Traditional Sweet Pongal Recipe / Sakkarai Pongal Recipe / Chakkara Pongal / Innippu Pongal
Happy Pongal to all my viewers 😛 😛 😛
Pongal is a popular harvest festival celebrated for 4 days in second week of January in Tamilnadu. This pongal festival is considered to be a cultural one where one thank the sun god for bringing wealth and prosperity. Coming to the recipe, Sweet Pongal or sakkarai pongal is my favourite sweet dish. Every households makes sakkarai pongal recipe in a different ways. In some houses they add milk while making sakkarai pongal, but in temple style traditional sweet pongal, it is made without milk.
To make sweet pongal recipe at home, you need raw rice, jaggery, moong dal, cardamom, cashews and ghee. This sweet pongal looks divine and it tastes awesome with the flavors of ghee and jaggery sweetness.
Try this best sweet pongal recipe / sakkarai pongal at home during pongal or any auspicious occasions. Enjoy with your family and friends. Happy pongal again !!!
Ingredients for Best Sweet Pongal Recipe
Prep Time :10 Cooking Time : 20 mins Serves : 3
- 1/2 Cup of Raw Rice
- 1/2 Cup of Yellow Moong Dal
- 1 Cup of Jaggery
- Pinch of Dry Ginger Powder
- 3 Cardamom Seeds
- Pinch of Nutmeg Powder
- 10 Cashews
- 10 Raisins
- 1/4 Cup of Ghee
- 1 Tsp of Ghee
- 3 Cups of Water
Method for Best Sweet Pongal Recipe
- Soak dal and rice seperately in water for 15 mins. Drain the water.
- Dry roast the dal until nice aroma comes. In a pressure cooker, add dal, rice and 1/2 tsp of ghee along with water. Cook it for 5 whistles. Open the lid and mash it well and keep is aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan with 1/4 cup of water, add jaggery and wait, until it gets completely dissolves. Strain it to remove the impurities.
- Now to the cooker, add jaggery syrup, mix well in a medium flame, add ghee, cardamom seeds and keep mixing until you get the pongal consistency.
- Heat a pan with ghee, roast the cashews and raisins until it turns golden brown colour. Now transfer this nuts to pongal, finally add a pinch of dry ginger powder, nutmeg powder and mix well.
- Serve hot with ghee drizzled.
- You can use paagu vellam, the one we use it for adirasam or use normal jaggery.
- If your pongal gets dry, add more ghee and serve.
- If you are using old rice, you need more water. If you are using new rice, it needs less water.
- If you don’t have nutmeg powder and dry ginger powder, just omit it.
- Add generous amount of ghee for tasty pongal.
TAGS: Sakkarai pongal, sakkarai pongal recipe, best sweet pongal recipe, sweet pongal, temple style sakkarai pongal, kovil sweet pongal, innippu pongal, traditional amma style sweet pongal, sweet pongal in pressure cooker, how to make sweet pongal at home, prepare sakkarai pongal recipe, sweet pongal withoit milk, sweet pongal with sugar. sweet pongal traditional pot method.
Sakkarai pongal does sure look perfect and the best one 🙂 I wud gladly finish a blog full now 🙂
Comments are closed.