Rava Pongal Recipe is an easy and simple south Indian breakfast dish. I really love to eat pongal for breakfast but my favourite pongal is venpongal where rice is a main ingredient. But in rava pongal recipe, rava (sooji / semolina) is a main ingredient.. Yesterday I want to try something different for breakfast, so I made rava pongal recipe and it came out super delicious. The main secret behind rawa pongal recipe lies on mixing and amount of ghee used. You can even add vegetables to this rava pongal to make it more healthier. This sooji pongal is power packed food because of carbs from rice and protein from moong dal, this makes you feel full, fresh and energetic throughout the day. This is also a perfect bachelors breakfast recipe. Best accompaniment for rava pongal is sambar, chutney or gosthu. So try this easy and authentic rava pongal for breakfast and enjoy….
How to make Rava pongal / Sooji Pongal
Preparation Time : 15 mins Cooking Time : 20 Mins Serves : 4
- 1 Cup of Rava
- 1/4 Cup of Moong Dal
- 1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp of Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
- 1/2 Inch Ginger
- 5 Curry Leaves
- 1/4 Tsp of Asafoetida (hing)
- 6 Cashews
- 2 Raisins
- 5 Tsp of Ghee
- 2 Tsp of Oil
- 2 and 1/2 cup of water
- Salt as needed
- Coriander Leaves to garnish
- Pressure cook the dal for 3 whistles by adding 1 cup of water, salt, turmeric powder and oil and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee, fry cashews and raisins until it turns golden brown. Keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of ghee in a same pan, roast the rava until it changes color and aroma comes. Transfer this to a plate.
- Heat oil and ghee in a heavy bottomed pan, when it is hot, add pepper, cumin, asafoetida, curry leaves, ginger, fry it until nice aroma comes, add water and salt, when it comes to rolling boil, add rava, in a medium low flame, mix gently without any lumps. When rava consitency turns thick and cooked, in this stage, add cooked moong dal, mix well with rava. Let it be in stove for few mins.
- Finally add ghee roasted cashews, rasins and mix well.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Hot, yummy, ghee flavored rava pongal is ready to serve for breakfast with sambar or chutney.
- If you find your pongal is dry, add little more oil or ghee.
- You can even use cracked wheat in place of rava to make cracked wheat pongal.
- You can even roast the moong dal before you pressure cook.
super yummy pongal.
So tasty and perfect start for the day.. I love to have this for brunch too
Comments are closed.