Mushroom Chops Recipe / Kalan Chops (Chettinadu Style)
Mushroom Chops Recipe / Kalan Chops (Chettinadu Style) is a aromatic, protein rich and tasty curry made with mushrooms and flavored with lots of Indian spices. Here I used baby bella mushroom, you can use any variety of mushroom to make this chops. If you are a non-vegetarian, you can follow the same recipe instead of mushroom, you can add pork or prawn or mutton or egg. Kalan chops goes very well with roti or poori or sambar rice or rasam rice or curd rice.
Check my other Mushroom Recipes
- Mushroom 65
- Mushroom Biryani
- Mushroom Manchurian
- Mushroom Mint Biryani
- Mushroom Peas Curry
- Mushroom Kulambu
- Mushroom Potato fry
How to make Mushroom chops / Kalan chops (Chettinadu style)
- 3 Tsp of Oil
- 1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
- ½ Tsp of Fennel Seeds
- ¼ Tsp of Fenugreek Seeds
- Few Curry Leaves
- ½ Red Onion, Finely Chopped
- 3 Small Onions (Pearl Onions), Chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves (Big), chopped
- ½ Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
- 2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
- 1 Tomato (Big), Blanched
- 8-10 Mushrooms
- ½ Tsp of Black Pepper, Coarsely ground
- Few Coriander (cilantro) Leaves
- ½ Tsp of Garam Masala
- Salt and water as needed
- To Grind
- 2 Tbsp of Coconut (freshly grated)
- 4 Cashews, Roasted
- 1 Tbsp of Pottukadalai (Fried gram)
- Clean, wash and chop the mushrooms.
- In a mixie jar, add cashes, fried gram, coconut and water, grind it to a smooth paste. keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with water, add tomato, cook it for 2 mins, cool it and remove the skin. This step is called BLANCHING.
- In a mixie jar, when it comes to a boil, add the blanched tomato, grind it to a smooth paste by adding little water.
- Heat a pan with oil, when it is hot, add mustard seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves, after mustard pops up and fennel changes color. Add garlic cloves, chopped big and small onions, fry until it turns golden brown colour.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and coriander powder, fry well for a min.
- Add ground coconut cashew paste, fry well for 2 mins.
- Add tomatoes, fry well for 2 mins. Now you get a thick paste.
- Add mushrooms, fry well for 3 mins in a medium flame.
- Add water and check salt. Cover and cook it for 10 mins in a low flame.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves, garam masala and coarsely ground black pepper, mix well with mushroom. Turn off the flame.
- Hot, yummy mushroom chops are ready to eat with chapathi or rice.
Small onions adds a nice taste to the curry.
Use any variety of mushroom, here I used baby bella mushroom.
If you are a spicy lover, add green chilly and reduce the amount of red chilly powder.
Adding black pepper at the end adds a wonderful flavor.
If you are lazy to do BLANCHING tomato, just grind the tomato and use it.
Tags: Mushroom Chops Recipe, mushroom chops, Kalan Chops, Chettinadu Style mushroom chops, how to make mushroom chops, prepare mushroom chops, mushroom recipes Indian, easy mushroom recipes, kalan recipes, side dish for rice and chapathi.