Missi Roti is a savory Indian bread made with a combination of whole wheat flour, besan flour and spice powders. This roti is very healthy, high in protein and quite filling too. It tastes so good with Spinach dal or sarson ka saag or raita. I had it with black eyed peas mushroom gravy. You can make this roti recipe for lunch or dinner. It is also perfect travel food.
1 Cup of Whole Wheat Flour (Atta)
1/4 Cup of Besan Flour (Kadalai Maavu)
1 Tsp of Salt
1/2 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1 Tsp of Coriander Powder
1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
Pinch of Ajwain
1/4 Cup of Finely Chopped Onion
2 Green Chilies, Finely Chopped
1 Tbsp of Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
2 Tsp of Oil
Water as needed
- In a bowl, mix both the flours, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilly powder, ajwain, garam masala, chopped onion, green chilly, chopped coriander leaves, oil, salt and water, knead well to make a soft dough. Keep aside for 15-20 mins.
- Make a equally sized balls out of the dough. Roll out each ball into a circular shape with a rolling pin.
- Heat a pan, carefully place the rolled roti in the hot pan, cook the roti’s in medium heat. When bubbles starts appearing, apply oil and flip it to the other side, cook till brown spots appear on both the sides of the roti.
- Remove it from pan and place it in serving dish. Repeat the same process with each ball of dough.
- Serve Immediately.
- Serve with any dal or yogurt or any subzi.
- If your dough is dry, you can add some more oil or water.
- If you want more spicy, you can increase the quantity of red chilly powder.
Health Benefits of Whole Wheat Flour
- Rich in fiber, helps in proper functioning of digestive tract and lowers the cholesterol and metabolic syndromes.
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Reversing the weight gain process.
- Lowers the risk of diabetes.
- Excellent laxative properties.