Barley is a wonderfully versatile grain with a nutty flavor and chewy consisitency. Barley are very good for health, they are high in fiber and selenium, also it lowers cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar and prevents cancer. Barley Adai Recipe is a popular south Indian crepe made with barely, rice and lentils. You can see my traditional recipe for Adai made with drumstick leaves. I followed the same adai recipe and included barley to it. This barley adai tastes delicious and a healthy breakfast dish and it does not need any fermentation. Adai goes well with chutney or podi. Barley adai recipe is good for people with diabetes and those who want to reduce weight. Barley are very cheap and nutritious so try to include in your diet.
How to make Barley Adai Recipe
- 1 Cup of Barley Pearls
- ½ Cup of Rice
- ½ Cup of Toor Dal
- ½ Cup of Chana Dal (Bengal Gram)
- 7 Red Chilies
- 4 Garlic or 1 Inch Ginger
- Salt and water as needed
- Other Ingredients
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
- 1 Red Onion, Finely Chopped
- Handful of Curry Leaves, Finely Chopped
- Handful of Coriander Leaves, Finely Chopped
- Pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
- 3 Tbsp of Coconut
- Soak the dals, rice, barley and red chillies in a water for 4 hrs or overnight.
- Nextday, wash it twice in water and in a mixie, add dals, rice, barley, red chilies, garlic, salt and water. Grind it coarsely . Transfer this mixture to a bowl. Just before making adai, add everything listed under “other ingredients”. Mix well and check for salt.
- Heat a tawa, spread little oil, pour ladle full of batter, spread it like thick dosa, drizzle some oil on sides, cook it until you get golden brown color, flip it to other side and cook for another 2 mins in low flame .
- Crispy, flavourful adai is ready to serve with coconut chutney or avial or podi.
Replace barley pearls with barley flour.
To make more healthy, add grated vegetables like carrot, radish.
Cook on low flame to get crispy also it takes more time to cook than normal dosa.
Adjust the no of red chillies according to your taste.