Lauki Kofta Curry Recipe / Bottlegourd Kofta Curry is a yummy and popular North Indian side dish curry for chapathi. This lauki ke kofta curry is made with bottle gourd. In my home, we make only kottu and stir fry with bottlegourd. But I am really surprise to know from my friend that in north India they make lot of recipes with lauki like lauki halwa, lauki thepla and the list goes on. I have seen this kofta recipe in many food magazines and newspaper. This recipe has been on my mind for ages. So when I was in India last year, I made this doodhi kofta recipe to my family, it was absolutely delicious, everyone in my family loved it. This lauki kofta recipewas in my draft, I don’t know how I forgot to post it.
Bottlegourd also known as lauki (Hindi) and Doodhi (Gujarati) is a vegetable with lot of medicinal properties like it treats heart disease and urinary infection, aids digestion and good for weight loss.
To make lauki kofta recipe, you need some preparation work. First you need to make dumplings with bottle gourd, deep fry it oil, finally cooked in onion tomato paste.
Lauki kofta itself is a very tasty appetizer or as a evening snack for tea. Try this bottlegourd kofta curry for chapathi or naan or phulka or jeera pulao.
Lauki Kofta Curry / Lauki Ki kofta / Doodhi Kofta Curry Recipe
Ingredients for Lauki Kofta Curry Recipe
Preparation Time: 30 mins Cooking Time: 30 mins Serves: 4
To Make Kofta
- 2 Cups of Bottle Gourd / Lauki, Grated
- 3 Tbsp of Onion, Chopped
- 5 Tbsp of Gram Flour
- 1 Tbsp of Rice Flour
- 1/2 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
- 1 Green Chilly
- 1/2 Tsp of Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/4 Tsp of Garam Masala
- 1/4 Tsp of Fennel Seeds
- Salt to taste
- Few Coriander Leaves (Chopped)
- Oil to deep fry
To make Gravy
- 2 Red Onions, Chopped
- 4 Tomatoes (Small), Chopped
- 6 Cashews
- 2 Green Chilies
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Inch of Ginger
- 2 Tsp of Coriander – Red chilly powder Mix
- 1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
- Pinch of Sugar
- 1 Tbsp of Oil
- Water and Salt as required
- Few Coriander Leaves (Chopped)
Method for Lauki Kofta Curry Recipe:
- Wash and grate the bottle gourd. Squeeze out the water and keep it aside for making gravy.
- In a bowl, add grated bottle gourd and all the ingredients listed under ” To make kofta” list except oil.
- Mix all the ingredients and make round shaped balls.
- Heat a pan with oil, deep fry all the balls till it turns golden brown colour. Drain them on paper towel. Kofta is ready, keep it aside.
For gravy :
- Heat a pan with oil, add onion, fry them till golden brown colour, add garlic, ginger, green chilly, cashews, fry them until raw smell vanishes, finally add tomatoes, fry them till soft and mushy. Turn off the flame, cool down for 10 mins, grind it smooth in blender. Keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add cumin, add the ground onion tomato paste, saute it for 3 mins, add coriander – red chilly powder mix, turmeric powder, garam masala, sugar and salt, fry it for 2 mins, add lauki juice and water, mix well, simmer it for 10 mins until the gravy turns thick. Add freshly chopped coriander leaves and fried kofta balls. Turn off the flame.
- Serve lauki ki kofta curry for chapathi or naan or phulka or jeera pulao.
- You can deep fry the kofta like I did or shallow fry it or bake it in an oven.
- Adjust the amount of red chilly powder and green chilly according to your taste.
- If your kofta mixture is watery, add little more tsp of gram flour.
- Do not leave the kofta mixture in counter top for long time, mixture turns soggy and then you cannot make balls out of it.
- If you don’t like fennel taste, just skip it.
Tags: lauki kofta curry, lauki kofta curry recipe, bottle gourd kofta curry, doodhi kofta curry recipe, lauki ke kofta curry, kofta recipes, kofta with lauki, make lauki kofta curry, prepare lauki kofta, lauki recipe for chapathi, side dish recipe for chapathi, side dish for rice, recipe for lauki kofta, lauki recipes