Have you tried square chapathi with layers inside them ? Today’s recipe is soft layered chapathi, a flaky flat bread popular in India and Pakisthan. Another name for layered chapathi is Ghadichi chapathi. You can make this chapathi / paratha in triangle shape or square shape like I did. This multilayered chapathi is crispy on outside and soft on inside. My mom used to make this often at home and this is my appa’s favourite. You can pack this square shaped layered paratha for kids lunch box. Beginners can also try this chapathi at home. Making layered paratha is not that difficult, but you need little patience. You can serve with any side dish of your choice, I had it with potato kurma. I will post the recipe for potato kurma tomorrow. Today I will show how to make layer paratha at home. Also check my other roti recipes in my blog.
Ingredients for soft layered chapathi recipe
Preparation time : 30 mins Cooking Time: 30 mins Serves:5
- 1 Cup of Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup +1 Tbsp of Warm Water
- 3 Tsp of Oil or as needed
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp of Flax Seed Powder (Opt)
Method for soft layered chapathi
- In a bowl, mix flour and salt. Make a well in the center and add water and 2 tsp of oil in it. Mix well with a fork. After few mins, keep mixing with hands until you get soft pliable dough. Apply a tsp of oil and knead it until you get smooth texture. Cover it with a damp cloth and let it stand for 30 mins. Make balls out of the dough.
- Place a ball on the rolling board. Dust it with some flour and start rolling it into 4” diameter. Apply some oil on top with your fingers, sprinkle some flour on it.
- Fold the chapathi one-third on one side and fold it one third on other side so that they overlap each other.
- Fold it again one third on both sides.You will get square shaped dough. Roll it carefully to get square shaped chapathi as shown in the pic. Do the same for the rest of the dough.
- Heat tawa or griddle over medium heat. Now cook the chapathi in medium heat. When bubbles starts appearing, apply oil and flip it to the other side.Let the other side also get cooked.
- Hot and soft yummy layered chapathi are ready to cook.
- You can also make triangle shape paratha by following the same method.
- Serve with raita or curry or pickle
- Adding flax seed powder is optional.
Tags: layered chapathi, soft layered chapathi Recipe, layered chapathi recipe, how to make layered chapathi, prepare layered chapathi, layered paratha recipe, how to make layered paratha, square layered paratha, paratha recipes, chapathi recipes. ghadichi chapathi recipe, easy lunch box ideas.