Potato kurma / Urulaikizhangu Kurma / Aloo kurma is my favourite kurma recipe for chapathi, poori, dosa or biryani. I learned this potato kurma recipe from my mom. She is an awesome cook. Also this is my family favourite korma for puri. This is very simple and easy to make side dish korma for chapathi. To make this south Indian style potato kurma, you need small potatoes, coconut, onion, tomato and spices. Try this rich, creamy and finger licking restaurant style potato kurma recipe for chapathi and let me know how it tasted. Also check chickpeas kurma.
Potato Kurma / Aloo Curry – Side dish for chapathi / Poori / Biryani
Ingredients for Potato Kurma Recipe
- 10 Small Potatoes
- 2 Red Onions, Finely Chopped
- 3 Medium Size Tomatoes, Chopped
- 2 Tsp of Coriander & Red Chilly Powder Mix
- 1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp of Lemon Juice
- Coriander Leaves to garnish
- 7 Mint Leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Cup of Coconut
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1/2 Tsp of Fennel Seeds
- 1 Cardamom
- 1 Inch of Ginger
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- Water as needed
- 1 Tbsp of Cooking Oil
- 1/4 Tsp of Fennel Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Few Curry Leaves
Method for Potato Kurma Recipe For Chapathi
- Grind all the ingredients listed under “To grind” list to a fine paste.
- Pressure cook the potatoes for 1 whistles. After that, remove the skins and keep it aside.
- Wash, chop the onions and tomatoes and slit the green chilly.
- Heat a pan with oil, add fennel seeds, bay leaf, curry leaves, saute this for few secs.
- After fennel seeds splutters, add chopped onions, fry until it turns golden brown.
- Add Tomatoes, fry until it turns mushy. Add coriander red chilly powder, turmeric powder and ground masala, fry well until raw smell vanishes.
- Add chopped potatoes, fry well with masala, add required water and salt, pressure cook it for 1 whistle. Open the pressure cooker, after pressure releases on its own.
- Add lemon juice and chopped cilantro, mix well.
- Hot yummy potato kurma is ready to serve with biryani or chapathi or poori.
- You can make this kurma either in cooker or in stove top.
- If you dont have small potatoes, use bigger potatoes.
- Try the same kurma with any vegetable of your choice.
- adjust the amount of green chilly according to your taste.
Tags: Potato kurma, potato korma, potato kurma recipe, potato kurma recipe for chapathi & biryani, korma recipe for chapathi, korma for poori, side dish recipe for chapathi, kuruma seivadhu epadi, how to make potato kurma recipe for chapathi, restaurant style potato kurma, hotel style potato kurma, prepare potato kurma, aloo kurma recipe, urulaikizhangu-kurma, potato curry for chapathi, south indian kurma recipe