Samosa recipe / Potato peas samosa / Aloo mutter samosa, a type of stuffed and fried pastry, are one of the most popular street food in India. You can find this famous snack sold in all Indian stores outside India. Aloo mutter samosa are excellent appetizers and it goes well with hot cup of chai (tea). Making samosa at home is not that difficult, they are very easy. To get a perfect punjabi samosa, there are three important factors involves they are dough consistency, thickness of the rolling dough and finally medium oil temperature. Here I used potato and peas filling, you can use any vegetables for stuffing like paneer and peas, mushroom and peas, mixed veggies. Just follow the below instructions, you will get nice crispy and flaky samosa for sure and it just tastes like restaurant style samosa. You can have samosa with green chutney or tomato ketchup or tamarind chutney.
How to make punjabi samosa recipe
Ingredients for samosa recipe
Preparation Time: 45 mins Cooking Time: 30 mins Serves:8 samosa
For outer cover
- 1 Cup of All Purpose Flour(Maida)
- 1/2 Tsp of Ajwain (carom seeds)
- 3/4 Tsp of Salt or to taste
- 2 Tbsp of Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- Little less than 1/4 Cup of Cold Water
For potato and peas filling
- 1 Big Yellow Potato
- 1/2 Cup of Green Peas (Frozen)
- 1/2 Inch of Ginger
- 1 Green Chilly
- 2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
- 1 Tsp of Garam Masala
- 1/2 Tsp of Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp of Fennel Seeds
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 7 -10 Cashews, Crushed
- 1/4 Tsp of Crushed Black Pepper
- 2 Tsp of Coriander Leaves, Chopped
- 1 Tsp of Lemon Juice
- Pinch of Dry fenugreek Leaves (kasuri methi)
- Salt to taste
Method for samosa recipe
For the outer cover
- In a bowl, mix flour, ajwain, salt and butter with your hand until you get crumbly texture. Slowly add water, mix and knead well to get a stiff dough. Cover and let it sit for 30 mins.
For potato and peas filling
- Steam it or microwave the potatoes for 5 mins. If you are doing it in microwave, prick the potato here and there with fork before cooking.
- Peel the skin and chop them into cubes with knife.
- In a mortar and pestle, crush the ginger and green chilly to a paste .
- Heat a pan with oil, when it is hot, add cumin seeds, after it crackles, add ginger-green chilly paste, saute this for a min until raw aroma goes away.
- Add peas and potato, saute this for 2 min in a high flame.
- In a low flame, add coriander powder, red chilly powder, asafoetida, garam masala, black pepper and salt, saute this for 2-3 mins continously and turn off the flame.
- Finally add lemon juice, crushed cashews, fennel seeds, kasuri methi and cilantro (coriander leaves), mix well. Now the filling is ready.
Shaping, stuffing and frying of samosa
- Make an equally sized ball with dough. You will get 4 balls.
- Take each ball and roll it in your palm to get a smooth ball.
- Then roll it using rolling-pin to a round shape. Cut it into half using knife. now you take a semi-circle pieces, using your finger tips, apply water on the straight edges of the pastry and make a fold in the shape of triangle as shown in the below picture and seal along the fold like cone shape.
- Place the stuffing inside the cone, using fingertips, wet the circumference of the cone with water Press both the edges together. Make sure there are no opening. Repeat the same process for the rest of the dough.
- Meanwhile heat a pan with oil to deep fry, when it is hot (350ºF), to check the oil is hot, add a pinch of dough, when it raises up immediately, oil is ready to fry.
- Reduce the flame to medium and maintain the same oil temperature throughout frying, gently slide the samosa into the hot oil, fry both the sides of the samosa until it turn golden brown.
- Fry the rest of the samosa in the same way.
- Serve the samosa with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
- You can also bake samosa in your oven. I have not tried it, if I try will post it in future.
- If you have amchur powder (dry mango powder), you can avoid lemon juice.
- If you have leftover dough, then make papdi out of it.
- Sometimes bubbles will appear, this may be due to high temperature of oil or softness of the dough.
- You can have any veggie stuffing of your choice like mixed vegetables or onion or mushroom peas etc.
- You can also make samosa with wheat flour.
Tags: samosa recipe, aloo mutter samosa recipe, punjabi samosa, punjabi samosa recipe, aloo samosa, potato peas samosa recipe, samosa with potatoes and peas, potato samosa, how to make samosa recipe at home, prepare easy samosa recipe, Indian snacks, indian street food.