Tawa pulao is a famous Mumbai street food . It is actually vegetarian pulao made on tawa (griddle) with lot of veggies, pav bhaji masala and butter. Making tawa pulao is very similar to chinese fried rice. Both are made with leftover rice and veggies. I got this veg pulao recipe from my husband’s friend who is from Mumbai. This Mumbai style tawa pulao is healthy, colorful and very easy to make pulao and tastes simply irresistible. Main ingredient for tawa pulao is pav bhaji masala. I used ready-made which I bought from nearby grocery stores. Bacholer can make this tawa pulao easily and it is perfect to pack for lunch box. Try this tawa pulao for lunch or dinner, serve with raita and papad. Let us learn how to make easy tawa pulao recipe at home.
Mumbai style Tawa Pulao Recipe
Ingredients for easy tawa pulao recipe
Preparation Time: 30 mins Cooking Time: 30 Mins Serves :3
- 1 Cup of Rice ( I used Sona masoori Rice)
- 1 Big Red Onion, Chopped
- 2 Big Tomatoes, Chopped
- 2 Carrots, Chopped
- 1/4 Cup of Green Peas (Frozen)
- 1 Potato (Big), Chopped
- 1 Green Capsicum, Chopped
- 4 Garlic and 1/2 Inch of Ginger, Crushed using mortar and pestle
- 2 Green Chilly, Slit
- 1 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
- 1.5 Tsp of Pav Bhaji Masala
- Pinch of Black Salt
- Few Coriander Leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tsp of Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp of Butter
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
Method for easy tawa pulao recipe
- Soak the rice in water for 30 mins. Wash and pressure cook the rice for 3 whistles. Cool the rice and set it aside.
- Boil the carrots and potato in microwave for 5 mins.
- Heat the butter on large tawa, add cumin seeds. After it crackles, add onion, saute on a medium flame for 2 mins.
- Add ginger garlic paste, saute until raw smell vanishes. Add green chilies, saute for a while. Add tomatoes, cook this until it turns soft
- Add boiled carrots, boiled potatoes, green capsicum, green peas and salt, saute this for 3 mins.
- Add pav bhaji masala, red chilly powder, black salt and coriander leaves, mix well and cook for few mins. Add lemon juice and mix well. Switch off the flame.
- Add the cooked rice, gently mix with masala using fork and spoon. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Hot, yummy tawa pulao is ready to serve with raita or papad.
- You can use raw rice or basmathi rice or even left over rice to make this pulao.
- If you don’t have pav bhaji masala, try with equal amount of kitchen king masala, garam masala and chat masala. I tried this masala version, it tastes good.
- Add vegetables of your choice.
- Adjust amount of red chilly powder according to your taste. My chilly powder is really spicy so I used only 1 tsp.
- Adding turmeric powder is optional.
Tags : tawa pulao, tawa pulao recipe, easy tawa pulao recipe, mumbai style tawa pulao, mumbai street food recipe, pulao recipes, north Indian pulao recipe, leftover rice recipe.