Today recipe is tomato and chana dal chutney without coconut. I wanted to make onion tomato chutney to go with dosa for breakfast. When I was searching my handwritten book for chutney recipes for idli, I saw this chana dal chutney with tomato. I made it yesterday for dosa. It just tastes like tomato chutney but chana dal adds flavor. You can serve this tomato chutney without coconut as side dish for idly or dosa or paniyaram.
Ingredients for tomato and chana dal chutney
Preparation Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 10 mins Serves :3
- 1 Big Red Onion, Chopped
- 2 Medium Size Tomatoes, Chopped
- 2 Tsp of Chana Dal (Bengal Gram)
- 2 Big Garlic Cloves, Whole
- 1/2 Inch Ginger, Chopped
- 3 Red Chilies
- Few Coriander Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
- 2 Tsp of Oil, (Gingelly Oil)
- 1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp of Urad Dal
- Few Curry Leaves
- Pinch of Asafoetida
Method for tomato and chana dal chutney
- Wash and chop the onion, tomatoes and ginger.
- Heat a pan with oil, add red chilies, when it changes dark black colour, add chana dal, fry it for few secs, add onion, fry it until it turns golden brown, add garlic and ginger, fry it for few secs and finally add chopped tomatoes, fry until it turns mushy. Add coriander leaves, salt and turn off the flame.
- Transfer the mixture to the mixie jar and grind it to a smooth paste. Transfer the chutney to a bowl.
- Heat a pan, add oil, when it is hot, add mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and asafoetida, after mustard seeds pops up, turn off the flame and transfer this tempering to the chutney bowl. Mix well.
- Serve this yummy chutney as side dish for idly or dosa or paniyaram.
- You can use tomato paste or tomato puree in place of tomatoes.
- Adjust the no of red chilies according to your taste.
- Add grated coconut, if you needed.
Tags: tomato chutney, tomato and chana dal chutney, tomato chana dal chutney recipe, chana dal chutney, tomato chutney for idly, tomato chutney for dosa, tomato and chana chutney without coconut, chutney recipe without coconut, chutney recipes, chutney recipes for idly dosa, side dish for idly dosa, south indian chutney recipe, chettinadu style tomato chutney