We have this drumkstick tree / Murungai keerai tree in our garden. So my mom used to make this drumstick leaves soup often. Its almost november and climate has changed. This is a right time to drink lot of hot and healthy soups on a chilly day. This Murungai Keerai Soup is very good for our health, pretty easy to make and it has got nice taste and flavour. I love all recipes made of drumstick leaves like murungakeerai poriyal or murungaikeerai sambar or kulambhu or murungai keerai adai. The every part of the drumstick tree, has got medicinal properties. So try to include drumstick leaves in your diet and stay healthy.
Health Benefits of Drumstick Leaves
- Drumstick leaves are good for diabetic patients as it reduces the blood sugar level.
- It helps in blood circulation and purify the blood.
- Good for pregnant women and lactating mother.
- Good for asthma patients.
- They are rich in potassium and calcium, so it strengthen the bone development.
Murungai Keerai Soup Recipe / Drumstick Leaves Soup Recipe
Preparation Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 15 mins Serves: 4
- 1 Cup of Murungai Keerai / Drumstick Leaves
- 1 Handful of Small Onion (12 nos)
- 6 Garlic Cloves (Big)
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
- 1 Tsp of Pepper
- 1 Tsp of Gingelly Oil
- 1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- Salt and Water as needed
Method for Murungai Keerai Soup
- In a mixie, grind all the ingredients except gingelly oil, turmeric powder, salt and water.
- Heat a pan, add required water about 4 cups, salt, gingelly oil, turmeric powder and ground mixture. Mix everything together. Allow it to boil for 10-15 mins in medium high flame and wait until it get reduced to 3 cups.
- Finally filter the soup, check for salt and pepper, add it if needed.
- Serve hot.
- You can follow the same method by using different greens to make soup.
- Adjust the amount of pepper and salt to taste.