Turkey berry / Sundakkai Vathal / Sunda Vathal is widely used for culinary and medicinal purposes. These berries are either used as fresh berries or dried berries. Turkey berries are soaked in butter milk for one day and then dried in the hot sun for at least 15 days and then used for cooking. It is great medicine for weight reduction. I have seen that magic in my life. I ate sundakkai kulambu, 2 chapathi and a small bowl of rice for 48 days plus walking. I have reduced so many pounds. Many people they don’t like this vathal because of its bitter taste , try to eat it for health reasons. It is very good for digestion, liver and it kills germs in stomach. Coming to this recipe, it is very quick to make dish with less ingredients. Try to have this rice every week..you can see the changes to your health. Try this medicinal rice and let me know your feedback. Also check this recipe Vendakkai Sunda Vatha Kulambu.
2 Cups of Cooked Rice
1 Tbsp of Sundakkai Vathal / Dried Turkey Beans
7 Small Onions/ Shallots, Whole
1 Medium Size Large Red Onion, Finely Chopped
10 Garlic Cloves, Whole
1 Tbsp of Sunda Vathal Powder
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp + 1 Tsp of Indian Sesame Oil / Gingelly Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
2 Red Chillies
Handful of Curry Leaves
- Heat a pan with little oil, add 1 tbsp of sunda vathal, fry for 1-2 min and grind it to a fine powder using mixie or spice grinder.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and red chillies (break it), after it splutter, add small onion, chopped large onion, garlic cloves, sunda vathal and salt, saute this for 3 mins in a medium high flame, until it turns to golden brown color and raw smell vanishes.
- In a low flame, add turmeric powder, fry for few secs.
- Add cooked rice and sunda vathal powder and a tsp of oil, toss well with a spoon in a low flame. Turn off the flame.
- Serve hot with any vegetable fry and papad.
- Careful while adding salt, because sunda vathal already has salt in it.
- You can also use manna thakali vathal instead of sundakkai vathal.
- Try to use small onions for the whole dish, I used 1 large onion because I have only few small onion in my pantry.
Health Benefits of Sundakkai Vathal / Dried Turkey Berry
- Turkey berry is an ancient plant and is used in many Ayurvedic treatments. It has sedative, diuretic and digestive properties. It is used in curing coughs. It is a good tonic for liver. The unripe fruits are used to strengthen immunity power and also reduce body heat.
- Control Diabetes – If we turkey berry for 4 days in any form, diabetes will come in control.
- Turkey berries are used in the treatment of mucus, cough or phlegm. Berries are dried, powdered and then taken for curing these illnesses.
- The berries help in proper digestion. They kill harmful bacterial growth in the stomach and intestines. They help in destroying intestinal worms owing to their bitter taste. They cure infections in the stomach and liver. They also stimulate regular activities of the bowel.
- Turkey berries are used in traditional medicines to cure night blindness. It strengthens the nerves in the eyes and provides a clear vision.
- Solanum Torvum is also used worldwide to treat various ailments like piles, asthma, chest phlegm, tuberculosis and severe cough. Take equal quantities of dried turkey berry along with the dried Indian gooseberry or amla, fenugreek seeds, Ajwain seeds, dry ginger powder, cumin seeds, dried curry leaves, shells of pomegranate & soft seeds of mango fruit. Make a powder with all these ingredients. Add 1 teaspoonful of this powder in 1 cup of warm milk. This herbal drink is very good for your health and it supports a healthy immune system.