Sambar powder /sambhar podi / curry powder is a basic and important ingredient available in all South Indian kitchen. This sambar powder is prepared by sun drying and pan roasting of whole spices, make it to a fine powder using a spice grinder. Ingredients and method of making sambar powder may vary from one home to other home. This is my mom’s method. I can say, this powder is her magic wand in making most of her recipes not only in sambar preparation but also she treats it as a curry powder and uses it in curries, stir fries, kulambu, kootu & korma. It tastes extremely good and delicious. So everytime we return from India, our bags are filled with sambar powder, curry leaves powder, kulambu milagai powder and paruppu podi. So one fine morning my heart sank as I found that my spice supply was getting low . So I started making my own sambar powder after getting the formula from my Mom and it turned out really good. So here is the sambhar powder recipe so that any one can taste a slice of South Indian cuisine …
Ingredients to make Sambar powder
- 1 Kg of Whole Coriander Seeds ( Dhania)
- 1 Kg of Dry Red Chillies (Varamilagai)
- 1/4 Kg of Whole Turmeric( Virali Manjal)
- 100 gms of Whole Black Pepper ( Milagu)
- 100 gms of Whole Cumin ( Seeragam)
- 100 gms of Fenugreek ( Vendhayam)
- 100 gms of Toor Dal ( Thuvaram Paruppu)
- 100 gms of Bengal Gram (Kadalai Paruppu)
- 50 gms of Mustard (Kadugu)
Method for sambhar podi
- Measure the ingredients one by one correctly in a weighing machine.
- Dry the whole coriander seeds, whole turmeric and red chillies in a sunlight for 6 hrs.
- Roast the rest of the ingredients in a pan without oil, roast it one by one until it turns golden brown and aroma comes.
- Let it cool for 30 mins.
- Grind all the sun dry and dry roast ingredients in a spice grinder or flour mill to a fine powder.
- Spread the ground powder in a wide plate or in a newspaper to cool for 30 mins or 1 hr.
- Transfer it carefully to a airtight container.
- Always be careful in roasting the spices, don’t burn it.
- You can use this powder to make sambar, Puli kulambu, curries, stir fries and korma.
- If you use whole turmeric, you have to give it to flour mill to grind. Do not grind it spice grinder, it will break the blade.
- If you use spice grinder, grind all the ingredients except turmeric. In that case, you can add turmeric powder separately in dishes.
- Storing is most important, so store it in a airtight container.
Health Benefits of Sambar Powder
- Coriander Seeds : Protects against salmonella bacteria, aids in digestion, lowers blood glucose and cholesterol.
- Red Chillies : They not only add heat to the meal, high in vit A, boost immunity, weight loss, prevents cancer.
- Turmeric : Prevents cancer, natural pain killer, antimicrobial properties, treatment for depression, prevents Alzheimer’s disease and arthritis, help in weight loss
- Black Pepper : prevents cancer, weight loss, powerful antioxidants, dental health, antidepressant.
- Cumin : aids in digestion and respiration, good for lactating mothers, boost the immunity, prevents cancers.
- Fenugreek : good for diabetes, aids in digestion, good for skin disorders and lactating mothers, cancer prevention, rich in fibers
- Toor Dal and Bengal Gram Dal: Excellent source of carbohydrates, fibers and protein.
- Mustard Seeds : high in anti-inflammatory, antioxidants and anti fungal properties, rich in selenium, reduces migraine problems