Are you in a strict diet to lose weight ? Also craving to eat snack ? Then you should go for this kind of low fat snack… This tasty , low calorie Indian snack are made from besan flour and rice flour for crispness. Try this recipe and let me know your feedback.
1/2 Cup of Besan Flour / Gram Flour
1 Tbsp of Rice Flour
1/2 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
1/8 Tsp of Ajwain / Carom Seeds
Pinch of Asafoetida / Hing
2 Tsp of Oil
Water as needed
Salt as needed
- Dry roast the ajwain / carom seeds for 1 min until you get nice aroma.
- Powder it with mortar & pestle into a fine powder. Soak this ajwain powder in a 2 Tbsp of water for 10 mins. Filter it using tea strainer and keep this aside.
- Sieve both besan and rice flour to a bowl. Add red chilly powder, hing and salt. Heat the oil and add it to the flour. Mix well. Finally add ajwain water little by little, mix well by hand. Add required water and make into a soft, smooth dough. Let it sit for 10 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
- Grease your hand with oil
- Take a small quantity of dough , put it in the sev press. Press it in a circular motion directly to a baking tray, greased with oil.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 400 degree F for 7-10 mins. Mine got baked in 8 mins.
- After it cool down, break the strands as a sev / omapodi and store it in airtight container.
- You can use this for topping bhel puri / panni puri.
- Use small dotted hole plate in sev press to make omapodi / sev.
- Follow the same ingredients and deep fry it in oil, for a tastier plain sev.
- If you are not in diet, you can use butter for a great taste.
- Adjust red chilly powder and salt according to your taste buds.
- Don’t add too much of ajwain that gives you a bitter taste. In my first try, I did that mistake.
- While baking, keep an eye on the oven after 5th min, once you find color change, immediately switch it off and take it out. If you keep it for a longer time, it will turn brown, also taste bitter.
Health Benefits of Besan Flour
- Rich in folate, iron, magnesium and phosphorus.
- High in protein and fiber.
- Great food for diabetic people.
- Improve heart health.