Ulundu vadai / medu vada is a traditional south Indian snack. Medu vada are crispy on outside and soft on inside. Ulundu vadai are made from urad dal batter. Green chillies, ginger, curry leaves, pepper and onion are mixed into the batter. medu vadai is wheel-shaped with a hole in the middle. Ulundu vadai / urad dal vada is bland and so it is usually enjoyed with chutney or sambar.
Ingredients for Ulundu Vadai
Number of servings : 10
- Black Split Urad Dal – 1/2 Cup
- Ginger – 1/2 Inch
- Green Chillies – 2
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed( ~ 2 Tbsp)
- Crushed Pepper – 1 Tsp
- Shallots or Small Onion – 7
- Few Curry Leaves
- Oil for deep frying
Method for Medu Vada
- Soak the urad dal for 1 hour in enough water.
- Drain the water and wash the dal and remove the skin.
- Take a mixie or grinder or food processor, transfer urad dal, green chillies and ginger to it. Add a lit bit of water. Grind it until smooth consistency. Make sure don’t add too much of water, because vadai will absorbs more oil in that case.
- Once the batter is ready, add chopped onions, curry leaves, salt and crushed pepper. Mix Well with spoon or by hand.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan. Take a zip lock bag or Milk cover or banana leaf or polythene sheet and have a cup of water in bowl on sides.
- Just wet your hands, take a small sized batter and place it in the zip lock bag greased with water. Make a hole in the middle and carefully transfer it to the hot oil. Continue the same process for each vadai.
Here is the video on how to make vadai..
- Fry the vadai till it turns golden brown color on both sides.
- Serve hot along with sambar and coconut chutney.
- If your batter is watery, add a tsp of rice flour to it or refrigerate the batter for 30 mins to 1 hour.
- You can use white or black urad dal to make vadai.
- Don’t add too much of water, because vadai absorbs too much of oil.
- You can shape vadai either in Zip lock bag or in palm of your hand
- If you don’t get shape, the easy & best way is to drop the batter with a spoon into the oil.
Health Benefits of Urad dal
- Urad dal provides energy to the body.
- Rich in protein.
- Enhances digestion because of high in fiber content.
- Boost heart health because of high in magnesium level.
Tags : medu vada,ulundu vadai recipe,ulundu vada,medhu vadai recipe,ulundu vadai tips,ulundu vadai recipe with video,how to make medu vada step by step,how to make ulundu vada video,medu vada recipe,step by step ulundu vadai recipe.
That vada looks like it has come right from the Wok.. so fresh !!
vada looks crispy..nice video..
Nice crispy vada..looks yummy
I love vada so so much. I also love how you made them and these are so amazing.
Yummy crispy vadas
I love ulundhu vada, lovely…
I love vades.. i will usually eat it with raw green chili.. yummy.
Yummy and crispy vada Gayathri… Thanks for sharing the video:-)
Very perfect and crispy vadas. Mouthwatering….
Vadas looks so fresh and crispy!
never tried using black split urad dhall,lovely vadas,so tempting.
wow what a tempting vadas.
awesome clicks and the vadais luks soo crisp!
looks so yummy, crispy with perfect shape…
How perfect are those vadas!!!!! So crispy, and mouthwatering.
Comments are closed.