Dal Maharani is a North Indian Dish. This recipe is the combination of Toor and urad dal. It is not only delicious, good source of nonmeat protein and it also has a number of health benefits. Try this recipe you like it. It goes well with any vegetable fry like potato fry or colocasia fry.
1/4 Cup of Toor Dal
1/4 Cup of Urad Dal (black or white)
2 Green Chillies
1/4 Tsp of Red Chilli Powder
1/4 Tsp of Garam Masala
1/4 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
2 Tbsp of Tomato
1/2 Tsp of Oil
2 Tbsp of Milk
2 Tsp of Oil
1 Tsp of Cumin
Pinch of Hing
1 Bay Leaf
1 Tsp of Grated Ginger
2 Tbsp of Chopped Onion
Few Sprig of Cilantro
1 Tbsp of Chopped Onion
- Soak both the dal in water for 1/2 hr. Drain the water and wash the dal in cold tap water.
- Pressure cook both the dal, turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala, salt, hing, oil, tomato and 1 and 1/2 cups of water for 3- 4 whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, hing, bay leaf, grated ginger and onion, fry for 1-2 mins.
- Add the boiled dal and milk to a pan, let it cook for 2 mins. Check the salt and switch off the stove.
- Finally garnish with cilantro and chopped onion.
- Serve with spicy fry like potato fry or colocasia fry.
- You can use either black urad dal or white urad dal.
- To make your dal more rich, add cream instead of milk.
- You can add lemon juice at the end, to get more tangy flavor.
Health Benefits of Toor and urad dal.
- Lentils are high in fiber and protein, and low in fat. Eating lentils and other foods that are rich in soluble dietary fiber can help decrease high cholesterol
- A dish of basmati rice with dal combines carbohydrates, protein, fiber and fats for a healthy, balanced meal. The rice provides carbohydrates for quick-release energy.