This is my mom’s recipe, who is a great cook. This flavorful chickpeas rice is highly nutritious because of its high in protein and fiber. Enjoy this yummy, healthy, one pot meal either for lunch or dinner.
2/3 Cup of Soaked and Boiled Chick Peas / Channa
1 Cup of Basmati Rice
1 Large Onion, chopped
2 Roma Tomatoes, Chopped
2 Garlic Cloves
3/4 Tsp of Ginger Garlic Paste
2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
1/2 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
3/4 Tsp of Garam Masala
1 Cup of Coconut Milk
1/2 Cup of Water
Salt to taste
2 Green Chillies
Few Sprigs of Mint Leaves
1 Tbsp of Ghee
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 Bay Leaves
Few Curry Leaves
Few Cilantro Leaves
- Soak chick peas in salt water for overnight. Next day, wash it in cold water and Pressure cook for 8-10 whistles and then switch off the stove.
- In a blender, grind green chillies and mint, to a paste. keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a cooker, add all the ingredients below “To Temper” one by one, fry for a min.
- Add chopped onion and salt, fry for 1-2 mins until it turns golden brown.
- Add garlic cloves and ginger garlic paste, fry until raw smell vanishes.
- Add tomatoes, ground paste, coriander, red chilly powder and garam masala, fry for a 1-2 mins.
- Add boiled chick peas, mix well with masala.
- Add required coconut milk and water, mix well and check the salt. Cover the cooker with a lid and pressure cook for 1 whistles. Turn off the stove.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Hot chick peas or Channa Pulao is ready to serve with raita.
- Rice and water ratio is 1: 1.5 cups of water or coconut milk.
- For extra tangy taste, add few drops of lemon juice at the end.
- Ginger garlic paste is more sufficient for this rice. Adding garlic cloves is optional.
- You can throw green chillies and mint, directly to oil, instead of grinding.
Health Benefits of ChickPeas
- High in fiber and protein.
- Low in glycemic index.
- Reduce the risk of Heart disease.