Thattai is a deep fried crispy dal snack popular in India. This thattai recipe is mainly prepared during festivals especially on diwali and Krishna Jayanthi.This deep-fried, finger licking savory that goes good for evening snack to munch with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
Ingredients For Thattai
- 1 Cup of Rice Flour
- 1 Tbsp of Urad Dal Flour
- 1 Tbsp of Fried Gram Dal Flour (Pottukadalai Mavvu)
- 1/4 Tsp of Asafoetida
- 1 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
- 2 Tsp of Urad Dal
- 2 Tsp of Channa Dal
- 1 Tsp of Sesame Seeds
- 1 Tbsp of Butter
- Few Curry Leaves
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt and Water as needed
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cook time: 25 mins | Makes: 15 thattai
Method for thattai recipe
- Dry roast the urad dal in a pan till it turns golden brown color. Switch off the stove. Grind it to a smooth powder. Sieve it and use it as urad dal flour.
- Soak channa dal and urad dal for 2 hrs.
- In a bowl, mix rice flour, urad dal flour, fried gram dal flour, asafoetida, salt, butter, sesame and soaked urad-channa dal.
- Add water to make smooth dough. keep it covered and wait for 10-15 mins.
|Make a equal size balls from dough|
- Make a equally size balls out of the dough. Place it in a greased plastic sheet, flatten it with your fingers.
- I kept the ball in a greased ziploc bag, placed another greased ziploc on top of it and pressed it with stainless steel bowl or do it with your fingers.
- Remove thattai carefully from ziploc bag and put gently in hot oil. Cook in medium flame.
- Deep fry until it turns golden brown on both sides.
- Keep the oil in medium flame and deep fry all the prepared thattai in the same way. Let it cool down for a while. Then store it an air-tight container.
- Enjoy thattai with tea / coffee time snack.
- Adding Urad dal is optional but I used in my recipe because it gives nutty taste to the thattai.
- You can add peanuts and grated coconut to this recipe.
- Always cook thattai in medium flame.
- You can increase the channa dal quantity for more crunchiness.
Health Benefits of Thattai
- Protein rich snack.
- Channa dal are good for people with diabetes, it has low glycemic index.
- Urad dal enhances digestion and boost heart health.
Recipe source – raks kitchen
sending recipe to tried and tasted -raks kitchen
Technorati Tags: thattai recipe,thattu vadai recipe,gokulashtami recipes,crispy thattai recipe
Technorati Tags: thattai recipe,thattu vadai recipe,gokulashtami recipes,crispy thattai recipe, thattai