Kaju katli or cashew diamond is a delicious Indian dessert. KAJU means cashews and BARFI is a Indian sweet, usually in the form of lozenge.This barfi is made with cashews, sugar and milk. This sweet is relished and gifted extensively during festival occasions in India. Recipe is very easy and simple to make in very less time. Give it a try and enjoy….
1 Cup of Cashews
1/2 Cup of Sugar
1/4 Cup of Water
2 Tbsp of Milk
1 Tsp of Ghee(Clarified Butter)
- Grind the cashews to a fine powder using coffee grinder or blender.
Making of sugar syrup
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add sugar, water and milk. Allow it to boil.
- Keep checking every half minute, until you get single string consistency.This takes about 5-7 mins.
- Single string consistency can be checked by taking a sugar syrup between index finger and thumb, a single strand should form.
Making of cashew dough
- In a medium flame, add cashew powder to sugar syrup, keep stirring, to avoid lumps.
- Switch off the stove, when you get a soft dough. This takes about 4- 5mins. Also check the dough by doing soft ball.
- Adding little ghee and mix well so that you get smooth and glossy dough.
Kneading the dough and forming of cashew diamonds
- Transfer the dough to a bowl and knead the dough for 1-2 mins.
- Transfer the dough to a ghee greased plate and flatten it with a rolling pin. Let it cooled down for 1/2 hr.
- Take a knife or a pizza cutter and cut the dough into rectangle or square or of any desired shape.
- Store in an airtight container and keep it in refrigerator.
- Adding milk is optional, because it will reduce the shelf life of the sweet. But adding milk gives a rich taste to the sweet.
- String consistency of sugar syrup is very important because if you overcook, the sweet will turn hard.
- If you find your dough is dry, then knead with little milk.
- Do not cut into shapes when the dough is warm.