Aloo Mutter is a quick, rich and delicious recipe with a fusion of potatoes and peas. This is a famous dish from Punjab, India. This recipe is perfect for lunch or dinner. It can be served with Chappathi, paratha or rice.
1 Large Potato
1/2 Cup of Peas
1/2 Cup of Onion
1 Large Tomato
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric
1/2 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
11/2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
1/2 Tsp of Cumin Powder
1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Cumin
A Pinch of Asafoetida
3 Tbsp of Chopped Cilantro
1 Tsp of Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp of oil/butter
Salt and Water as needed
2 Green Chillies
1/2 Inch Ginger
2 Garlic Cloves
- Boil the potato in microwave for 4 mins and cut into big cubes and keep aside.
- Heat the oil or butter in a pan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seed cracks right away, the oil is ready.
- Add Cumin and mustard, asafoetida, after cumin seeds cracks add onion and salt fry till it changes to golden yellow colour.
- Next add “To Grind” Paste, fry for 2 mins.
- Add turmeric, garam masala and chilly powder directly to oil and fry for 1 min.
- Add chopped tomato or add 2-3 tbsp of tomato puree cook until oil seperates.
- Now add boiled potato and peas.
- Add about 1 cup of water after it comes to boil lower the heat to medium and let it cook for about five minutes.
- Add coriander powder and cumin powder. Let it cook for 2-3 mins.
- Turn off the stove. Finally add cilantro and lemon juice.
- Aloo Mutter is ready to serve.
- Aloo mutter can be served with chapathi, paratha or rice.
- You can follow the same recipe with any vegetables of your choice
- You can also cook without onion and garlic.
Health Benefits of Potatoes and peas
- Peas are one of the most nutritious leguminous vegetable, rich in health benefiting phyto-nutrients, minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants.
- Fresh pea pods are excellent source of folic acid and ascorbic acid.
- Potatoes rich in carbohydrates, so it is easy to digest and facilitate digestion
- Potatoes are one of the richest sources of starch, vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber