Fried Rice is a popular dish in China and Southeast Asia. Fried rice is made from cold rice or leftover already cooked by steaming. It is important to use leftover rice because the moisture in fresh rice will cause it to steam instead of fry. The secret ingredients for this dish is onion, garlic and sesame oil.
As I am a vegetarian I make fried rice without eggs for breakfast but this recipe is my husband’s version. Try this recipe you can taste the chinese flavour right from your home.
1 or 2 Eggs
1/4 Cup of Cooked Rice/Leftover rice
2 Red Chillies
3 Chopped Garlic Cloves
1/4 Cup of Onion
1/4 Cup of Carrot
1/4 Cup of Bell Pepper/Capsicum
1/4 Cup of Brocoli
2 Green Onion
1 Tbsp of Black Bean Paste(opt)
2 Tbsp of Soy Sauce
1/2 Tsp of Sugar
1/2 Tsp of Salt
1/2 Tsp of Pepper
2 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil/Butter/Corn Oil/Sesame oil
- In a small bowl beat the eggs and keep it aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pan or a wok over medium heat.
- Add in eggs and leave flat for about 2 minutes or until cooked through; remove to a plate then chop.
- Heat oil in wok or large pan and add red chillies and garlic. Saute for 2 Mins until red chillies are dark brown.
- Add onion to pan and saute for 2 mins.
- Add all veggies(carrot, brocoli, bell pepper and white part of green onion) saute for 2 mins. Keep it covered for 3 Mins.
- Now add pepper, salt, sugar, black bean paste(opt) and soy sauce. Stir well.
- Finally add the left over rice. once you add your rice to the wok, turn the heat to high. Your wok or pan has to be so hot that it makes every single grain of rice to jump and dance off in the wok. Stir-fry tossing continuously for about 5 minutes (adding in more soy sauce and black pepper if needed to suit taste).
- When the rice is heated through, add the scrambled egg back into the pan. Mix thoroughly. Stir in the green part of green onion. Serve hot.
- Vegetables to be roughly chopped.
- If you are non-vegetarian add chicken or shrimp or beef to your rice.
- If you want to get exact chinese flavour add black bean paste, fish or oyster sauce and sesame oil.
- You can also add more vegetables like mushroom, bean sprouts, baby corn and bamboo shoots to get extra taste.