Fenugreek or vendhayam in tamil is a wonderful herb helps to cure all female health problems and diabetes. Vendhaya Kali Recipe / Fenugreek Kali is a healthy and traditional south Indian breakfast recipe. My mom makes this for me once in a month as they are more nutritious and it cools the body. This vendhaya kali is very good for women of all ages. To make vendhaya kali, you need fenugreek, rice, palm jaggery and oil. I love all kinds of kali recipes as they are very tasty and good for health. I already posted ulundhu kali / urad dal kali. Try this vendhaya kali / menthula sankati at home for breakfast. Eat healthy and stay good.
Also check my other fenugreek recipes
- Vendhaya idly
- Vendhayam Kuzhambu
Ingredients for Vendhaya Kali Recipe
Preparation Time : 10 mins + overnight Cooking Time : 20 mins Serves : 3
- 1 Cup of Fenugreek (Vendhayam)
- 1/4 Cup of Rice ( Boiled or Raw)
- 1/2 Cup of Karupatti (Palm Jaggery) or to taste
- 1/4 Cup of Gingelly Oil
- Water as needed
- Salt to taste
Method for Vendhaya Kali Recipe
- Soak both the fenugreek and rice together in a bowl for 6 hrs or overnight.
- Heat a pan, add palm jaggery and 1/2 cup of water, bring it to boil until it dissolves completely. Turn off the stove and filter it to remove impurities.
- In a mixie, add soaked fenugreek, rice and water, grind it to a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat the same pan, add ground rice – fenugreek mixture and palm jaggery syrup, stir well in a medium flame, add salt and keep on stirring until it turns thick and soft.
- Add oil and keep on stirring so that it should not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- To check if it is done, transfer a spoonful of kali to a plate, dip your hands in water and touch the kali, it should not stick to your hand. If it sticks, it is not done.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
- Use thick bottomed pan and wooden laddle while making kali.
- Use gingelly oil for nice taste. You can also use ghee if you want.
- Replace palm jaggery with regular jaggery.
- You can also serve kali by pouring palm jaggery syrup on top. To do that, do not mix jaggery syrup with ground rice fenugreek mixture while stirring. Do it separately, then pour syrup while serving.
Tags: kali recipe, fenugreek kali, vendhaya kali, vendhaya kali recipe, traditional south indian food, Indian healthy breakfast. menthulu sankati, to make vendhaya kali recipe, prepare vendhaya kali.