Making bread is not only fun but also gives great satisfaction. I always prefer whole wheat bread than white bread , as whole wheat bread is rich in fiber and other healthy nutrients. I love brownberry wheat bread which they sell in nearby grocery stores. Most of the day I start my breakfast with sandwiches or toast. My favourite is almond/peanut butter-jelly sandwich. You can also see lot of sandwich recipes in my recipe index. When I was searching for whole wheat bread recipe in google, I saw lot of recipes which has all purpose flour in it in addition to whole wheat flour. At last, I got this recipe from King Arthur flour company website which uses 100% whole wheat . I tried making bread 3-4 times, and it always turns out good with this recipe and the aroma of hot bread being baked fresh which I dearly love is enchanting . In this recipe, I added milk and oil, which makes the dough soft and smooth and the addition of honey gives a rich taste to the bread. You can make 1 loaf of bread from this recipe.
3.5 Cups of Whole Wheat Flour
1 and 1/4 Cups of Lukewarm Water (110 Degree F)
2 Tbsp of Honey
2 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup of Vegetable Oil
2 1/2 Tsp of Instant Yeast / 1 Packet Active Dry yeast dissolved in 3 Tbsp of Lukewarm Water(105 Degree F)
1/4 Cup of Baker’s Special Dry Milk/ Non-Fat Dry Milk / 2% Cow’s Milk
1 Tsp of Salt
1 Cup of Flour for dusting
- In a microwave bowl, heat 3 tbsp of water for 15 secs, test the temperature, if it’s around 105-110 degree F(if the temperature is higher than 130degree F, yeast will die), now add a pinch of sugar and active dry yeast, mix well, you can see foam at the top. It’s a sign that yeast got activated.This process is called proofing. Allowing the yeast to metabolize the sugar and propagate. Foam indicates yeast are healthy and working.
- In another bowl, boil the water in microwave for a min, temperature should be around 110 Degree F.
- Now in a wide bowl, combine all the ingredients, stir till the dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer the dough to the counter top, dust the surface with some flour and knead it for 10 mins, it is accomplished by folding the dough over and push down with the heel of the hand, curving your fingers over the dough, until you get soft and smooth dough. (You may also knead the flour in food processor).
- Transfer the kneaded dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover it with a towel and place the dough in a warm place for 2 hrs.
- To provide a warm place for the dough to rise, place the dough on the top rack of a cold oven. Dough should be double in size, depending on the warmth of the kitchen.
- Ready to shape, lightly press two fingertips quickly 1/2 inch into dough and if indentation remains.
- Shaping a loaf of bread starts with placing the dough on a floured surface.
- Then, roll the dough into a rectangle shape. Roll up tightly, starting with the one end. Seal with the finger tips as you roll.
- After rolling, seal the edges by pressing down on each ends. Now place it in a greased baking pan, folded ends down and cover the pan with a towel, allow the bread to rise for another 1 to 2 hrs.
- Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the bread for 30 -35 mins at 350 degree F.
- Test the baked bread for doneness by tapping the top crust with your finger. If there is a hollow sound, the bread is thoroughly baked. Remove the bread from pan at once; cool on a wire rack.
- If desired, rub the crust with a stick of butter, this will yield a soft, flavorful crust. Cool completely before slicing.
- Storing the bread properly necessary to keep them fresh tasting. Wrap the bread in foil or clear plastic wrap, or place in a plastic bag. Then, store in a cool, dry place. Do not refrigerate baked breads.
- You can also add 1/4 cup of honey instead of adding sugar.
- If you have instant yeast, add it directly to the flour. It does not need activation.
- If you use active dry yeast, you need to activate. For that, you have to dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water. Water temperature should be around 105 degree to 110 degree Fahrenheit. If the water is cold, yeast will not work. If the water is hot(130-140 °F), the yeast will die. So make sure to maintain the favorable temperature.
- Adding sugar,not only for flavor, but it provides food for the yeast to grow.
- Adding salt, controls the growth of the yeast and also contributes the flavor to bread.
- Kneading the dough for a longer time, is an important step in bread making.
- To avoid over browning of bread, lightly cover the bread with aluminium foil after 20 mins of baking.
Health Benefits of Whole Wheat Bread
- Rich in fiber, helps in proper functioning of digestive tract and lowers the cholesterol and metabolic syndromes.
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Reversing the weight gain process.
- Lowers the risk of diabetes.
- Excellent laxative properties.
- It has powerful antioxidant, which is vitamin E, good for skins.