Makhan is the hindi word for butter, from where dal makhani gets its name. Daal makhani is a classic dish belonging to North Indian Cuisine. It has different names like kaali dal or maa ki dhal. In this recipe, I have used black urad dal and red kidney beans both are rich in protein , iron and fiber. This rich, silky smooth and creamy lentil based dish cooked in a crock pot for hours, along with spices. Addition of milk and butter gives a rich taste to the dal. I have cooked the dal makhani in a slow cooker / crock pot. Since the duration of cooking is long but the outcome of flavor, creamy texture and the taste is really outstanding. Dal makhani tastes great with jeera rice / roti / phulka / butter naan. I have also given recipe for pressure cooker method for making dal makhani. Try this protein and fiber rich, delicious dal and let me know your feedback.
7 Tbsp of Black Whole Urad Dal
2 Tbsp of Rajma (Kidney Beans)
1/3 Cup of Tomato Puree or 2 Tomatoes
1.5 Tsp of Ginger Garlic Paste
2 Tbsp of Curd / Yogurt
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
1 Tsp of Garam Masala
2 Tsp of Kasuri Methi/ Dried Methi Leaves
1/4 Cup of Milk or Cream
1-2 Tbsp of Butter
1/2 Tsp of Sugar
Salt to taste
3.5 Cups of Water
2 Tsp of Ghee
1 Tsp of Cumin(Jeera)
1 Bay Leaves
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal and rajma for 5 – 7 hrs. After that, drain the water and keep this aside.
- In the mean time, switch on the crock pot(slow cooker) and keep it ready
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan, add the lentils, 3.5 Cups of water and salt, bring it to a rolling boil. Now transfer the lentils and water to a crock pot, set the temperature to high for 4 hrs. Do not disturb.
- Heat a pan with ghee, add cumin and bay leaves, after it changes color, add ginger garlic paste, tomato puree, saute this for 2 mins. Add curd, saute this for few mins. Add coriander powder, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, fry this for another 2 mins. Transfer this pan contents to a crock pot, add salt & mix it well with a spoon, cook it for 30 mins in high.
- Add garam masala, dried methi leaves, milk and sugar to the crock pot, mix well with the spoon, cook it for another 20 mins. Check the salt and turn off the stove.
- Dal makhani is ready.
Pressure Cooker Method
- In a pressure cooker, add the soaked lentils, water and salt, wait for 2 whistles, after that turn it to low flame and cook it for 40 mins. After 40 mins, turn off the flame and let the pressure release on its own.
- Heat a pan with ghee, add cumin and bay leaves, after it sizzles and changes color, add ginger garlic paste, tomato puree, saute this for 2 mins. Add curd, saute this for few mins. Add coriander powder, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, fry this for another 2 mins. add the lentils, cook it for 20 mins in a medium low flame, add garam masala, dried methi leaves, milk and sugar, mix well, cook this for another 20 mins in a medium low flame, Check the salt and add the butter and turn off the stove. Dal makhani is ready.
- Garnish with some yogurt or cream or butter, slit green chilly and ginger.
- Serve hot with jeera rice / paratha / Naan.
- You can cook dal makhani either in stove top method or pressure cooker or crock pot.
- Use whole black urad dal or split black urad dal to make this dish.
- Adding cream instead of milk gives a rich taste to the gravy.
- You can add 1 large chopped onion, if you want.
- You can also add 1 tbsp of bengal gram in addition to urad dal and rajma .
Health Benefits of Black Urad Dal and Rajma
- Urad dal provides energy to the body.
- Rich in protein, iron and folic acid
- Enhances digestion because of high in fiber content.
- Boost heart health because of high in magnesium level
Rajma (Red Kidney Beans)
- Kidney beans are high in Iron and protein, it has eight essential amino acids in it.
- The darker the color of the beans has higher, the anti-oxidant content.
- Maintains the blood sugar.
- Good for brain.
- Improves bowel Movements
- High in magnesium and fiber helps in lowers the blood cholesterol levels.