Soups are a good appetizer to a meal. A good mushroom soup makes the most of the subtle and sometimes rather elusive flavor of mushrooms. You can use white button mushrooms or shitake mushroom or portabella. But here I used Baby Bella Mushroom for this recipe. You can also use this soup to make Green Bean Casserole. Good to eat this hot soup on cold evening.
5 – 7 Whole Baby Bella Mushroom
1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
2 Tbsp of Butter
1 Medium Size Onion, Finely Chopped
1 Garlic Clove
1 Tbsp of All Purpose Flour (Maida)
1 Cup of Full Fat Milk
1/2 Cup of Water
Pinch of Dried Basil ( Opt)
Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
Green Onion to garnish
- Wash and finely slice the mushroom.
- Heat the oil and 1 Tbsp of butter in a pan. Add chopped onion, garlic, fry for 1-2 mins until it turns golden brown.
- Add mushroom, fry for about 1-2 mins, stir frequently and then cover and simmer it for 2 mins.
- Add flour and cook for 1 min.
- Add milk and water, bring to the boil and simmer , covered, for 5-7 mins.
- Pour into a blender and add salt, dried basil and black pepper and grind until smooth.
- Melt the rest of the butter in a pan and fry the remaining mushroom gently for 3-4 mins until they turn tender.
- Pour the soup into a soup bowl and stir in the fried mushroom.
- Sprinkle some green onions and pepper and serve hot.
- It tastes really great with butter toasted bread.
- Vegetable or chicken broth can be added to this recipe, for extra flavor.
- Light or heavy cream can be added, for extra creaminess.