Masala rice is a Pakistan dish which is healthy and quick to make in less than 20 mins. Addition of whole garam masala spices to rice gives a good aroma which is more appetizing. This dish is perfect for lunch box.
2 Tbsp of Butter
1 Cup of Basmati Rice
1/2 Cup of Chopped Onions
1 Tsp of Ginger Garlic Paste
1 Chopped Tomato(Medium)
2 Green Chillies (Medium Size)
2 Tbsp of Yogurt
2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
1/2 Tsp of Cumin Powder
1 Tsp of Chilly Powder
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1 Bay Leaves
4 Black Pepper
2 Cardamom(big or small)I used Badi Elachi
1 Tsp of Black Stone Flower(Kalpasi)optional
1 Cinnamon Stick(Medium Size)
1/4 Cup of Peas
1/4 Cup of Corn
1.5 Cups of Water
Salt to taste
- Heat a pan or cooker with butter or oil. Add chopped onions and salt, fry until they turn transparent.
- Add ginger garlic paste, fry for a minute.
- Add peas and corn. Fry for a min.
- Add chopped tomato, green chillies and yogurt. Saute for 2 mins until oil separates.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, chilly powder, turmeric powder. Fry for a min.
- Add whole bay leaves, black pepper, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon. Fry for a min.
- Add rice and mix well.
- Add sufficient water and check the salt, close the lid and wait for 1 whistle. Switch off the stove.
- Hot Dhaba style masala rice is ready.
- Serve with onion raita.
- Add any vegetable of your choice.
- For richness, add nuts of your choice.
Health Benefits of Masala Rice
- Corn is a good source of Vit B1, B5, E and Folic Acid
- Peas are rich in proteins, vitamin B, C and K
- Whole garam masala has antimicrobial properties.