Potato stuffed Indian flat bread also called aloo paratha in Hindi (amalgamation of two words, parat and atta which means layers of cooked dough) is a very popular breakfast dish in India. This flat Indian bread are made with whole wheat flour, stuffed with boiled potatoes, carom seeds, spices and ghee (clarified butter), cooked on a hot skillet with oil or butter and served with butter, yogurt and pickle. This is my classic family favorite paratha recipe. Every week I make variety of stuffed paratha, the stuffing may vary like spinach, cauliflower and peas. But I love aloo (potato) paratha, they are rich and delicious also I have added ajwain (carom seeds) to it, which makes the paratha more flavorful and aids in good digestion. Apart from that, I added some black salt, sugar and lemon juice, so you can taste all kinds of flavor on every single bite of paratha. Try this easy aloo paratha and let me know how it turned out. You can also serve aloo ajwain paratha with dal makhani or dal tadka .
Check out food wine conference and the Idaho potato commision
I’m entering this recipe for Idaho Potato Commission’s recipe contest as part of the Food and Wine Conference this summer in Orlando, FL. This conference will take place from July 17 through July 19, 2015. You can also enter to win this recipe contest. Contest deadline is June 20, 2015.
How to make aloo paratha
For the Dough
- 1.5 Cups of Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Tsp of Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Tsp of Salt
- 3/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp of Warm Water
For the Stuffing
- 2 Yellow Idaho Potatoes
- 1/8 Tsp of Carom Seeds (Ajwain / Omam)
- 1/2 Tsp of Ginger Paste
- 1/2 Tsp of Red Chilly Powder
- 1/2 Tsp of Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
- Pinch of Black Salt (optional)
- 1 Tsp of Lemon Juice
- Pinch of Sugar
- 1 Tsp of Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- Salt as needed
Making of Potato Stuffing
- Wash and prick the potatoes here and there with fork. Microwave it for 5 mins for each potato.
- Peel the skin. In a bowl, mash the potatoes well with masher or back of the spoon. Add carom seeds, ginger paste, coriander powder, red chilly powder, garam masala, black salt, lemon juice, sugar, ghee and salt. Mix well with a spoon. Check the salt, if needed add it accordingly. Make equally sized balls out of the mixture and keep it aside.
Making of paratha
- In a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, oil, salt, mix well with a fork.
- Meanwhile boil the water in a kettle, when it is luke warm in temperature, pour them to the flour. Mix well with a fork. Leave the dough to rest for 20 mins.
- Starting kneading the dough with hand till soft and smooth. Divide the dough into equal sized balls.
- Heat a tawa or griddle. Dust the counter top with some flour, take wheat ball and roll it into circle, in the same way roll another circle not too thick too thin. Now place the stuffing in the centre of one circle, place the second circle on top of the first one. Seal the edges.
- Dust it with flour and start rolling gently. Now you get thick circular paratha of 6″ in diameter.
- Carefully place the paratha in hot griddle. Now cook the paratha in medium heat. When bubbles starts appearing, apply oil and flip it to the other side and cook this till you get golden brown spots.
- Serve it with butter, onion raita or plain yogurt and pickle.
- Another way to roll out the paratha, is to add stuffing in the center, gather the edges, pinch it to the center and then seal it, start rolling like thick cicular paratha. Otherwise still feel difficult to make paratha, add the stuffing, directly to the flour and then knead it with oil, salt and water and then start rolling like chapathi.
- Adding carom seeds / ajwain is for easy digestion.
- Adding ghee enhances the taste of paratha.
- Always cook the paratha in a medium flame.
Tags: Aloo paratha, aloo paratha receipe, aloo ka paratha, how to make aloo paratha, how to prepare aloo paratha, how to cook aloo paratha, aloo methi paratha, making aloo paratha, aloo recipe, paratha recipe, breakfast recipe.